OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Offroad and Touring Central > GPS and Communications

Notices

Old 2nd January 2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road
Default See newer version in original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachaluva View Post
Woohoo it worked!

There's some very useful info there, may take a while to read it though lol

Glad to hear it mate. Its amazing the advances medicine has made in the last few decades & I have no doubt the future will leave us astonished
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Excellent find!
Thanks fellas.

See newer 2007 version from the WA Police in my original post.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

Year: MY05
Model: Forester
Transmission: XT lux manual
lefty is on a distinguished road

wonder if Naden has read it?
Old 4th January 2012, 06:52 AM

subyroo is on a distinguished road

Great work Ratbag, give ya'self a big pat on the back.

P.S. Just realised it is 4 going on 5 years old, maybe somebody should drop them a line and ask for an updated version.

Last edited by subyroo; 4th January 2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 4th January 2012, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Gidday subyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyroo View Post
Great work Ratbag, give ya'self a big pat on the back.

Thank you, Kind Sir.

I have emailed the WA Police and asked them for a copy of this in Word format so that I can re-format it to A5 size and double-sided. Then re-convert back to PDF.
I have also offered to send these back to them once completed.

An A5 booklet could live happily in one's glove box where it is likely to be of most use in an emergency ...

Quote:
P.S. Just realised it is 4 going on 5 years old, maybe somebody should drop them a line and ask for an updated version.

This is the latest version.
It is very wide-ranging and thorough from what I have read of it so far.
Old 4th January 2012, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Barry is on a distinguished road

An interesting case in todays Age. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/lo...105-1plut.html
Travelling solo in an inappropriate vehicle, with no advice to family / friends of the route and ETA can put people in dire circumstances quickly.
At least she had a GPS and some water and followed a road, so not walking in circles.
All in all she was very lucky.
Old 4th January 2012, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Gidday Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
An interesting case in todays Age. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/lo...105-1plut.html
Travelling solo in an inappropriate vehicle, with no advice to family / friends of the route and ETA can put people in dire circumstances quickly.
At least she had a GPS and some water and followed a road, so not walking in circles.
All in all she was very lucky.
Yes it was good that she had basic survival gear.

She was very lucky.

AND a complete bloody fool ...

Worse still, the media are making out that she was some kind of terrific survivor, when they should be telling people how stupid she was, and how easily she could have died out there. What else would one expect from the media ...

Love the bit about "14.4 tonne trucks". Even a Suzuki Vitara or similar miniature truck based vehicle would be far better than that lumbering hulk she was driving. Let alone the track she was driving it on ...
Old 4th January 2012, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Barry is on a distinguished road

I just don't get why she is hanging out for an automatic gearbox.

Give me a manual any day!
Old 4th January 2012, 09:48 PM

sjm is on a distinguished road

It's interesting to see a lot of the survival advice has been extracted from Richard Grave's bushcraft books, even the illustrations are a direct copy. I first read his series back in the 70's, and I still have the original 10 books.

He was formerly a Commanding Officer of the Australian Jungle Survival & Rescue Detachment on active service with the USAAF, and the books were originally written as wartime information for conducting rescue missions, the notes were later revised and prepared for a School of Bushcraft which was conducted for nearly 20 years.

The detachment of 60 specially selected AIF soldiers successfully carried out more than 300 rescue missions, most of which were in enemy-held territory, without failure of a mission or loss of a man.

Reading his books provided great inspiration for me, and probably contributed to my eventually enlisting and being selected for service in 1 Commando Regiment, Aust Special Forces. Sadly, Graves passed away 40 years ago, but it's good to see his knowledge is still being passed on.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:56 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
I have emailed the WA Police and asked them for a copy of this in Word format so that I can re-format it to A5 size and double-sided. Then re-convert back to PDF.
I have also offered to send these back to them once completed.

An A5 booklet could live happily in one's glove box where it is likely to be of most use in an emergency ...
That would be a great idea! Would also make good reading after setting up camp, may even provide an incentive to practise lol

Could you please post the '07 version on this thread? Also be sure to post the pocket book version as well when its done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
Yes it was good that she had basic survival gear.

She was very lucky.

AND a complete bloody fool ...

Worse still, the media are making out that she was some kind of terrific survivor, when they should be telling people how stupid she was, and how easily she could have died out there. What else would one expect from the media ...

Love the bit about "14.4 tonne trucks". Even a Suzuki Vitara or similar miniature truck based vehicle would be far better than that lumbering hulk she was driving. Let alone the track she was driving it on ...
Cant get over how funny she thought it was! She obviously has no idea she almost died!!!

What a ridiculous vehicle to be driving somewhere like that. Having just driven tracks like that in Wyperfeld NP (see Robe/ Wyperfeld trip report) I can vouch that it can be very soft. There was even 1 track that said "wet weather only"!

& in the end she still couldnt accept responsibility for HER actions, blaming it on not enough signs! What happened to common sense?
Old 4th January 2012, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachaluva View Post
That would be a great idea! Would also make good reading after setting up camp, may even provide an incentive to practise lol
From the amendment of my OP:

NB: I have just discovered that the WA Police have published an updated edition of this document in PDF format; available here:

www.police.wa.gov.au/Portals/11/PDFs/AidsToSurival_2007.pdf

Quote:
Could you please post the '07 version on this thread? Also be sure to post the pocket book version as well when its done.

Cant get over how funny she thought it was! She obviously has no idea she almost died!!!

What a ridiculous vehicle to be driving somewhere like that. Having just driven tracks like that in Wyperfeld NP (see Robe/ Wyperfeld trip report) I can vouch that it can be very soft. There was even 1 track that said "wet weather only"!

& in the end she still couldnt accept responsibility for HER actions, blaming it on not enough signs! What happened to common sense?
We just saw a van like hers at Rickett's Point that has continuous AWD (different brand) ...
Shame they are only available in the 14.4 tonne version here ...

Her silly adventure comes at a good time to reinforce the safety message with younger or less experienced people on forums like this.

Have all the fun you like when you have a whole swag of people around with snatch ropes and winches to get you out of trouble, but use this as a learning 'sandbox'.

When on your own, always proceed with extreme caution. You are not gutless if you turn back; you are being wise. There are no medals for becoming a corpse ...

Tags
aids to survival, outback travel advice, wa police