OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Electrical and Lighting

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11th July 2010, 10:46 AM

spinners is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Conversion to Forester STi HID Headlights

Alright, I know I have been very much on the quite side for many months now. Alas, the pleasures of a new job and the responsibilities of running a company have severely drawn my time away from the things I love.

For now, a reprieve

I really like the look of HID light. I had contemplated buying something off eBay but was put off with the legalities of it all. Yeah I know, says the man with 70 series tyres on. This way, the headlight assembly is OEM, the globes are OEM and the only things that are different are the way I am going to interface with the original OEM globe plug.

Now the fun begins. After a little plug and play trial and taking some voltage, amperage and resistance measurements, I quickly discovered that the 35w STi HID system was not going to work too well with the 55w output from the my MY05 H4 headlight plugs.

What I was going to need was a 35w HID headlight relay setup. Enter the guys at The Retrofit Source. They had a relay wiring harness specifically for an H4/35w HID system and at US$30, it was far cheaper than that available at Bright Light Automotive.

The beauty of the relay harness is that it will allow me full Low/High/Flash functionality and send the right signals to the Ballasts.

Here are a selection of the photos of the headlights.

Here is the 35w HID Harness

The Harness Relay

And the H4 interface to the OEM plug.

Stage 1 - The High/Low Deflector Solenoid connections
I tried sourcing OEM plugs and connectors but they were only available on harnesses and at $170 for each harness I decided to use the old fashion soldering iron and my own plugs and connectors.

A little bit of heat shrink really makes for a neat and water resistant job. I have not shown it in this pictures, but at either end of the heat shrink and before I shrunk it, I used some a syringe to inject a silicone bead. This would ensure a nice waterproof plug and seal it all up.

I used some corrugated split sleeve tubing to cover my handy work and used some more heat shrink and cable ties for a nice pretty and durable finish. Here is my handy work.

Stay tuned for my next installment when I undertake the same sort of thing for the Ballast connections. I think that this project will take a few months, so in the mean time, I am happy to answer any questions that you may have along the way.

Also, if you have any recommendations on how something may be done better, I am all ears.

"Improvise, Adapt & Overcome"

Last edited by spinners; 19th June 2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11th July 2010, 03:48 PM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

Welcome back spinners

Will be great to see the final results when it's finished.

Regards
Mr Turbo
Old 11th July 2010, 05:20 PM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

A Forester with decent headlights- that would be nice. Of course, the question of why a country such as Japan gets the better headlights than a country like Australia where they would be more useful- assuming they are better- is an issue we can thank Uncle Nick for I guess
Old 11th July 2010, 07:04 PM

AlpineRaven is on a distinguished road

Looks great there, lucky find and I didnt know that they came in HIDs for Foresters as well. I know Gen 3 Liberty did.

With the output, your better off using common and connect it on chassis as ground and left/right for high/low beam. Also install thicker wire - say 8-10mm thick from negative to chassis, without this, have a feel to see how warm the negative terminal will be at full power (heater full blast, full beam, all lights on etc)
Cheers
AP
Old 12th July 2010, 10:26 AM

UPDATE

I tried sourcing some 9006 male plugs for the harness relay so that I could mod the ballast plugs. You'd think that they would be something reasonably easy to get a hold of. Nope. Perhaps I may not be looking in the right places, but a trawl of the Net for Australian distributors failed to turn anything up. Dick Smith, Jaycar, SuperCheap, Autobarn and Repco struck out also.

I ended up ordering a pair of plugs from the US. AU$18 including postage I can live with.

This is what it looks like

I'll post up in the next few days a few pictures of the harness relay all spread out with some descriptions so that it should all start to make sense.

Last edited by spinners; 19th June 2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12th July 2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineraven View Post
...Also install thicker wire - say 8-10mm thick from negative to chassis, without this, have a feel to see how warm the negative terminal will be at full power (heater full blast, full beam, all lights on etc)
Cheers
AP
Thanks AP. That's a good idea. Mind you, why does it need to be such a thick wire? 10mm is verging on the size of wire on the earth to the battery .

Old 12th July 2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinners View Post
Thanks AP. That's a good idea. Mind you, why does it need to be such a thick wire? 10mm is verging on the size of wire on the earth to the battery .
Because Subaru is positive to negative.. Just that Ive noticed my Liberty's ground wire is getting really warm so installed thicker wire and havent felt it warm ever since.
Cheers
AP
Old 12th July 2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinners View Post
UPDATE

I tried sourcing some 9006 male plugs for the harness relay so that I could mod the ballast plugs. You'd think that they would be something reasonably easy to get a hold of. Nope. Perhaps I may not be looking in the right places, but a trawl of the Net for Australian distributors failed to turn anything up. Dick Smith, Jaycar, SuperCheap, Autobarn and Repco struck out also.

I ended up ordering a pair of plugs from the US. AU$18 including postage I can live with.

This is what it looks like

I'll post up in the next few days a few pictures of the harness relay all spread out with some descriptions so that it should all start to make sense.
Its a real PITA that no one sells them in Australia - as far I know too, Ive done this before buying from overseas as well.
Cheers
AP

Last edited by spinners; 19th June 2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12th July 2010, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Year: MY05
Model: Forester
Transmission: XT lux manual
lefty is on a distinguished road

Interesting that the HID is in a reflector housing. Looks almost the same as a halogen one from the pics.
Are you able to provide a side by side comparison pic with the stock headlight?
Old 12th July 2010, 10:58 PM

The reflector housing is pretty much identical apart from a small section directly below the bulb. This is where the deflector is located which throws a slide back for the high beam throw.

I will put up some side by side pictures when I am at the stage of swapping over.

Tags
actuator, ballast, bi xenon, bi-xenon, d2s, hid, levelling switch, solenoid