awbeattie381

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
CVT
Hi All,

I have just purchased a brand new 2017 (MY18) Forester diesel L and will be doing a few thousand kilometres towing a caravan in January 2018.

Are there any 'running in' procedures that I need to be aware of? Should I have at least 1000km on the ODO before I tow anything? I have a 15ft 900kg caravan that I used to tow with my XV (Crosstrek).

The dealership didnt really offer much help!

Apologies for metric units - I am from Oz.

Looking forward to many years of ownership (my first mod will be a set of Gorrila mudflaps to be ordered this week...baby steps...!!).

Andrew

If there were running in requirements, I'd a thunk they'd be in the owners manual.
According to the great god wikepaedia it's not so necessary any more due to better manufacturing techniques and production.
Don't quote me on that though..!

:welcome: to the forum, lots of Aussies on here and europeans too. so don't worry about metric! :)

diesels ouch . in here ppl selling those newer diesel subarus with engine failures.

^ I've not heard of any engine failures with Subie diesels at all. DPF issues mainly. What sort of failures have you heard?

If there were running in requirements, I'd a thunk they'd be in the owners manual.
According to the great god wikepaedia it's not so necessary any more due to better manufacturing techniques and production.
Don't quote me on that though..!

:welcome: to the forum, lots of Aussies on here and europeans too. so don't worry about metric! :)

I have also heard that about more modern engines. My main concern was towing with such low kays. I am driving from Sydney to Melbourne in mid January towing our caravan. On the way down its the Hume Highway (so consistent revs), but on the way back it will be up the coast.

After spending a bit of time on the forum yesterday I realise there is a mix of people from all over the globe!

Just let the revs vary a little on the way south. I remember in my Triton I did the Flinders Ranges early in its life and just tapped the cruise control up and down a couple of Ks at regular intervals heading down the Hume.

The Hume is a bad route for a number of reasons. One is the constant speed, which is not good for the engine and also makes it a very boring trip. Apart from the coast road, there is the Olympic Way, which is less boring, or down through Thredbo and Bright. Very scenic, a lot less constant speed and definitely not boring.

These are in my Outback manual.

Attachments

• Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 7
Probably allows gears and engine bits to bed in. I would definitely be changing oil and filter at that time

^ agree. We had an OB diesel towing a T-Van come on a trip in the Blue Mountains (Blackfellows Hand track) straight from the showroom floor - no problems.

Thanks all for the replies. I took delivery of my Forester yesterday and indeed the manual says 1600km before towing.

Not sure ill get there in 3 weeks but I have estimated I should be around the 1200km mark by the time we are ready for our trip (which incorporates 3 day trips). Ill get the first service beforehand and we will be good to go!

Kevin as an aside I had issues with my DPF but found a fix online. The Subaru service staff said my DPF was cactus and needed replacing. They quoted me $6k to replace and said there is no way to service it as they consider it a throwaway part!!! Instead I searched online and found Opposite Lock offer a service to clean DPFs (mostly for big rigs) in an ultrasonic bath. Only cost me $400 to get to clean out and 2 year later still no dramas.

Back