OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Offroad and Touring Central > Recovery Gear and Offroad Driving Tips

Notices

Old 28th May 2016, 04:06 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Outback. JDM TT conversion
Transmission: 5MT DR
duncanm is on a distinguished road

*cough* I think your google-fu is lacking. Try searching for 'kinetic recovery rope', or 'kinetic recovery strap'

http://www.bubbarope.com/professional-recovery-rope

http://www.masterpull.com/kinetic-re...-yanker-kobra/

recommends their 3/4" version.

No need to go low-rating for distribution straps or shackles -- the bigger the better there, I think.
Old 28th May 2016, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

^ yeah, I agree, Duncan.

A quick search on my tablet turned up this supplier of TJM stuff ...

http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-tjm-snatchstrap.htm

And I tend not to use my tabby for searching because it's nearly as much of a PITA as using my phone .
Old 28th May 2016, 05:24 AM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanm View Post
*cough* I think your google-fu is lacking. Try searching for 'kinetic recovery rope', or 'kinetic recovery strap'

http://www.bubbarope.com/professional-recovery-rope

http://www.masterpull.com/kinetic-re...-yanker-kobra/

recommends their 3/4" version.

No need to go low-rating for distribution straps or shackles -- the bigger the better there, I think.
Great, you found one 10,000 lb rope. So something in the ballpark EXISTS. But I am not sure how that one rope justifies your google comments. And it is not like I searched for my strap and bought it yesterday. If you want me to put my comment in past tense you need to do better than find a single rope in the entire ATV to 17.5 range.

The best strap for me is a different question. Chances I need a strap unless I am really badly stuck are very slim. That would likely be mud in the unlikely scenario I do certain trails in Monsoon season. Three times my typical trail weight is 13,200. Three times my heavy trail weight is above 14k. And if you read the link I posted earlier, you will know that 300% of loaded weight applies to a badly stuck vehicle on a flat surface. Add a little uphill and my 17.5k looks a great deal better than 10k. Guess a 13-14k would hit the jackpot: or a combo of the 10 and the 17.
Old 28th May 2016, 06:57 AM

Hang on - I'm trying to help here, and I found those two in 2min of searching.

If you look at those ropes - I don't think you can compare breaking ratings with that of traditional straps.

If you read the masterpull website, they say the 10000lb rope is recommended for 500 to 2500lb vehicles, the 19000lb rope for 2000 to 4500lb vehicles.

Very similar to the bubba rope sizes/ratings.

Whatever.
Old 28th May 2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanm View Post
Hang on - I'm trying to help here, and I found those two in 2min of searching.

If you look at those ropes - I don't think you can compare breaking ratings with that of traditional straps.

If you read the masterpull website, they say the 10000lb rope is recommended for 500 to 2500lb vehicles, the 19000lb rope for 2000 to 4500lb vehicles.

Very similar to the bubba rope sizes/ratings.

Whatever.
No worries. The thing worth discussing is exactly the recommendations. Is it about strap vs rope or about different methodology in calculating the recommended numbers?

I think that it is useful to look at Wrangler weight vs what is available for Wranglers. The obvious conclusion is that US recommendations are for much higher ratings than Australian ones.

Now, what does this mean about the methodologies used? What does it mean for heavy duty frames vs cars?

This is why I am not going to lose any sleep over mine.
Old 28th May 2016, 07:04 PM

I do take your point about there being a hole between 10k and 17k lb-- but as others have said, you're probably safer with the lighter strap -- much less likelyhood of tearing bits off your car o distorting your frame.

The trick, as with many things, is to be aware of what gear you have and work within its limitations.
Old 28th May 2016, 08:46 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

MiddleAgeSubie, I'm afraid you still don't get it. The weak point needs to be the rope. The recovery points you have on your Subaru are very weak & prone to being torn out. Using your example of fully loaded stuck in mud, that is even more reason to use a lighter rope as the chances of damaging your car are even higher.

We're trying to help, at the end of the day all we can do is give advice, it's up to you to accept it or not...
Old 28th May 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
MiddleAgeSubie, I'm afraid you still don't get it. The weak point needs to be the rope. The recovery points you have on your Subaru are very weak & prone to being torn out. Using your example of fully loaded stuck in mud, that is even more reason to use a lighter rope as the chances of damaging your car are even higher.

We're trying to help, at the end of the day all we can do is give advice, it's up to you to accept it or not...
Lol. I get it. I did not open the discussion, but only listed what I have.

I am almost always alone so I am not in the habit of getting into questionable stuff. Logically, then, I have not needed any rope/strap yet and I am not in a rush to spend 80$ on a rope that is advertised for vehicles up to 2,500.

I am not sure why the eye bolt would be "very weak." Weaker than traditional 4x4 points probably it is, but if the Subaru manual says that it is for recovery in sand and mud, I am pretty sure it can work pretty well.

Tags
bow shackles, rated components, recovery gear use, recovery point, recovery technique, snatch straps, tow straps