Opinions wanted

Fly

Forum Member
I purchased my Grabbers and should be getting them within the next two weeks. While I'm waiting, I need to prep my steelies as their finish has some rust... but I have absolutely no idea which color I should put them.

Should I keep them the original silver-ish color? Black? Dark bronze?

I honestly have no idea. If the cladding was color-matched to the rest of the car, I'd probably go for bronze. But I'm not sure bronze would go well with the silver-ish cladding... I'm also considering painting the cladding with truck bed liner, so opinions are welcomed on that too.

FYI, I'll go rattle-can as I don't want to put on something too fancy if it's gonna go in the mud, gravel, etc... plus I'd pay more to have them powdercoated than I paid for them :lol:

The car as it is (before lift & without Grabbers):
1347337768-img-0027-or.jpg

The wheels (not my pic, but it's this model and the rust is pretty much the same):
8852lg9_20.jpeg

What do you think?

Love all the spotlights you have, Fly!

As for the steelies, I would go with a dark, matte shade of gray that matches the lower body cladding. That's what I did when I got new wheels for mine. ;)

If they are just your spare set go fluoro orange
Not my spare set. They'll be primary for all summer!

Keep the ideas coming, I might have to photoshop some of them to get a better idea.

If they are just your spare set go fluoro orange

Damn, that's brilliant, lefty! Wish I'd thought of it myself. 80's flashback! :monkeydance:

Seriously, when Puma sponsored the Subaru rally team last year, I loved how each of the three cars had a different color of fluorescent wheels. TireRack.com now offers the Sparco Assetto Gara in no less than ten (10!) different colors. Check it out!

sparco_assetto_gara_spectrum_5_w640.jpeg

I have the Sparco Terra, which has a larger center and shorter spokes, more akin to a classic rally wheel. I ended up picking gray (as mentioned above) over white, because the gray matches my gray bumpers and hides dirt better.

I was thinking the same type of thing as stilson, but in an opposite way.
Perhaps something a little like this.
It's not my best photoshop, but you get the idea.

Before & After
swheelsmedium.jpg

Regards
Mr Turbo

mm lefty... u have it right. Matching the indicators rocks! Thanks for the pics :) And Fly... Just be brave... unlike me that just goes 4 the stock Scubaroo due to budgetary constraints!

Last edited:
I have the same Acadia Green Forester as you with the platinum trim. My vote goes to bronze. Last summer I painted mine bronze with a rattlecan. Even better than photoshop, I can provide real pics!

7994654412_d8fb1410ba.jpg

This second pic is not the greatest, but it was taken when I had only painted one wheel to see how I liked it. I think the bronze wheels look really good with the color combo of the car body and trim.

7998195323_95b3809011.jpg

@Tomtom: hmmm... I think i like that! Got any other pics? That one is kinda dark. Also, which paint? How did it hold up? Considering you're in the US, we might have the same up here in Canuckland.

@Brumby: Not sure how it'd look with my color combo, but on your black Foz it looks awesome!

@Lefty: Not sure I like it on the civic... probably just 'cause it's a Civic, though :p The Lotus pulls it off great, but I'm not sure I want THAT much attention :p

I'm with lefty, that does look good :cool: But you'd need to like bright colours.

Then again TomTom's bronze looks great too :cool:

I find gold goes with green, red, blue or black brilliantly. As an Aussie I like gold wheels on the green body :iconwink:

I might have to photoshop some of them to get a better idea.

I think this is your best bet.

If you paint the trim the Subaru gold trim looks great, I think you can even get the code.

This picture is not much better. Foz is dirty/ snowy, plus it was taken with my cell phone, not the best quality. But! It is lighter, both wheels are painted and you can see how the color works with the overall theme. I snapped this real quick on my way out the door to class today. The product I used is Rustoleum Metallic, in either the Copper color, or the Vintage Copper, I can't quite recall.

8652290739_498b0b65b3.jpg

https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=30

This still is not the best photo to display the paint color itself, as it looks brown in this photo I just realized. I will give her a wash this weekend since the weather will be nicer and take better pics. I did a really crappy prep job, (rough sanding, painted over the balancing weights) so I do have some chipping but only because my poor attempt to prep, I will be re-painting these the same color early this summer. It is Rustoleum, so I am confident in it's durability.

Oh, and I recommend a layer or two of clear coat on top to provide a little extra protection.

Last edited:
Back