• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Locker

So we're talking at least $4,650 plus labour, gearbox and diff. I think Ben is right!

I understand that some of us, me included, sometimes go a little overboard with our mods but the enjoyment of having a more capable offroad vehicle is it's own reward. :iconwink:

In my mind an r180 rear diff and standard r160 shafts mates to said diff should be up to the task.

Lockers add traction and reduce wheel spin - there may be times it loads the shafts but when you think about it they should hold up just fine over time. When climbing steep hills all the weight is on the rear end with maximum traction in optimal conditions.

Anyway, I feel I'm not getting my point across and would like to have a go with the r180 in the back of my L - something I've thought about for a long time but haven't actioned it namely due to not figuring out an axle mating solution or finding a locker that's actually available for the r180.

Now it's about money and other priorities - story of most member's life I bet!

At least there's a solution for those that want it. As for gearbox building I think our vehicles are not an overnight build and a box should certainly be part of the overall equation. I certainly recommend build a box for your needs too. I love mine and it transforms the ability of the vehicle!

As for the cost list, you forgot the ratio change if you can't find a diff with what your spec'd up box has :(

Cheers

Bennie

Sure whatever makes happy person. Money has no value still it should be like more reasonable number. or you must be 80 % harcore opffroader spend all your time in mud waters , rocks. for me if cheap car plus mods cost more then better 4wd car with mods included is not worth it.
but then lockers are cool. make more videos with proper comparison with it off and then on on same places. people dont believe much words until they see is working for themselfs.

Last edited:
I did this because the car had became stuck previously due to the diffs not being good enough. Along with Dave I did it because we wanted to because no one had been able to do it before using the Subaru diff housing. Dave found it a challenge he was up for and also to promote his reputation and his business as a Subaru workshop. Finally, We wanted to show that a car which could perform really well on the road, far better than other Subarus modified for off road, could in most situations out perform them off road as well. This we have proved to ourselves (and those who were with us at the time). I don’t wish this to upset anyone but if what I have said and the videos and photos I have taken don’t prove my point, I don’t know if I can satisfy what you want. I didn’t do it to convince people who won’t accept that with this diff and good road tyres the car is more capable than having just all terrain tyres. Especially when no one from this group has yet joined us to compare against. The car is just so capable that it looks boring to most because the videos don’t show how difficult the terrain is and as the car doesn’t struggle then it seems as though a standard car on all terrains would easily do it too. If anyone with a Subaru does want to be part of a comparison, and you have a sump guard and all terrain tyres and can get to the NSW southern highlands, let me know.

As some of you may already know. I am planning on putting an R180 rear locker in my car with R160 running gear for a total project parts cost of <$2000 which if successful will bring this closer to viable for many who are running 4.44 final drive ratios (which many run as standard). If this does eventuate I will post full details here.

Now regarding the necessity of upgrading the centre diff I personally do not believe this is a requirement. If the centre diff was a useless as people are making out we would get stuck every time we lift one front wheel which does not happen! Before I upgraded to DCCD I actually tried to drive my car up a reasonably steep hill with no front drive shafts fitted and it could happily drive around. Sure the centre diff was slipping a reasonable amount however at 3k rpm in 1st low it could plod around quite easily.

Anyway watch this space for a full write-up of my project when/if completed.
:cool:

There is no right or wrong take on this subject when it comes to individuals but I think it is fair to say that for the majority of people installing a locker on a Subaru would make no financial sense.

That's about the feasibility of offering a locker for sale to make money.

As for individual projects? Whatever makes one happy. Some people like to experiment and pioneer and others do not.

Locker is complete!

The ARB air locker is in and working for a total parts cost of <$2000. Very much looking forward to trying it out off road!!!
42831513791_577038a4b8_z.jpg

42113743984_68426c4b03_z.jpg

Wow, done and dusted in a month!
I hope you take it for a blast soon. With video!

Last edited:
Been on the card longer than a month in the research and planning phases. The install was pretty quick though.
Everything going to plan next weekend will the offroad test day! And naturally with much video evidence.

Cool, another locker option !

The housing is a R180 but the internals are R160 ?

Are you still running standard axles, etc? if so, what did you do to make them fit to the diff?

Housing is R180. Internals are R180. Axles are R180 to R160 axles from a B-Spec lib. There are a number of ways you can do R180-R160 axles for around $500
I am currently doing a full writeup of the project. This will have all the details when released which will hopefully be in a week or two.

Very cool we need videos to see it in action.

Housing is R180. Internals are R180. Axles are R180 to R160 axles from a B-Spec lib. There are a number of ways you can do R180-R160 axles for around $500
I am currently doing a full writeup of the project. This will have all the details when released which will hopefully be in a week or two.

I found your facebook page. Good job!

Now that you've done one, assuming it works as intended, would you consider doing more and selling them or is it a once off? I'm sure there are heaps of people who don't have the skills (me includeed) to do this sort of thing.

From what I've gleaned, the part that I'd have no hope of doing currently is setting up for the Axle retention, even though I've got a dremel! That's a neat little jig you made, I just woudn't have the confidence. I do have a friend with a dinky little metal lathe, I'm guessing you dould do that on a lathe..

I'm pretty average at tapping things too!

But... if there was a 'buillt' locker available that just needed getting all the external bits together e.g axles, compresser, hosing, (fire extinguisher!) I reckon you'll be shipping these things world wide!

One thing I am wondering, is that would this be worth doing with a VCD instead of a DCCD. Or for that matter the old circa '94 4EAT I have sitting in my SVX.. (i've got the funny feeling that this 4EAT has some kind of VTD in it anyway but know bugger all about the subject)

Very cool we need videos to see it in action.

Seeing the locker doing it’s thing will only be impressive when you have a car without one attempting the same section of track. It has been easier to do the locker than finding anyone to do that with, at least for me.

Back