• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Sydney to Wilsons Promontory via Monaro Hwy

Tweaksta

Car Year
Transmission
5MT
We have been wanting to see Wilson's Promontory for years now, and this year we've decided to try and get down there before winter approaches. This time we're going to dust off the old pop-top Hiace 2wd camper and do it in comfort.

Of all the travels I've done, this direction is completely unknown to me. Once I get past Cooma I'm in completely new territory. The plan is to head down the Monaro Hwy - past Bombala, through Cann River, then Orbost, Bruthen, Sale, Alberton then on to Wilsons Prom.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with this route, and the main thing I was wondering is which bits are the good bits? Currently we'll probably drive for 5-6 hours then we won't know what hidden gems are in the surrounding hills where we can camp overnight - so the nearest town's caravan park will end up sufficing but not providing an amazing experience in any way.

1st night we will be somewhere between Cooma and Bombala.
2nd night we should make it roughly to Bairnsdale or Sale.
3rd night should be at the destination.

So, does anyone know any good spots around Cooma and Bairnsdale?
Are there any other recommended stops?

I recommend you look at the Suggan Buggan road, aka The Barry Way, between Jindabyne and Buchan.
Excellent camp spot at Wulgulmerang (?) constructed by the local community with low priced hot showers.
A short detour will take you to McKillops bridge and the upper Snowy.
A most pleasant and easy drive.

Last edited:
I'll second the Barry Way -- lots of spots along the Snowy you can stop, camp and have a swim.

Through Delegate and Orbost is a nice drive through the forests if you like the twisties.

I'm sure the Gippsland lakes have many nice spots -- but I've only ever been down there on a boat. The victorian's here should know.

At a small place along the way called Seldom Seen there is reputed to be a Subaru fan who owns, or did own the garage.
I`ve not seen him or called by but could be, if he still exists, an interesting diversion.
I think, if memory is still functioning, that the key to the camping ground at Wulgulmerang is obtained by calling in to the farm just north of Wulgulmerang. You pay, or did pay, your $10 and gain entry. It is a few years, perhaps 5 or so, since I last passed that way.
Also for your return Mallacoota is well worth a call in.

Last edited:
The trip was awesome. I'll post a trip report soon. There was nothing to be seen at Seldom Seen but Barry Way was a gem.

Back