New Clutch and CV Joint Failure

captncruise

Forum Member
Suburu Forester Manual late 2002 160K on clock

Before i left on my BIG trip I had a new clutch fitted. Over the next 1500km the clutch pedal began to stick. This was traced to a worn slave cylinder in the hydraulics. Had that fixed then after another 2000km the stearing developed a wobble over 80kph about 70km from Darwin.

It has turned out to be a badly worn left CV joint. Currently waiting for genuine replacement to be flown from Melbourne. Did source an after market CV joint that was supposed to fit but it didn't.

Since both my CV joints are the same age, should I replace the right one as well before it too goes?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Graham

Well depends i guess. If the RHS doesnt have any major up/down, front/back movement it should be fine. But it is supposed to move laterally (from hub to box).

A CV could go because it wasnt greased properley, or has gotten some **** in it, or just wasnt re-greased. Id be more inclined to pull it if u have some down time, clean and regrease - but if your on a trip and want piece of mind and u have a spare - throw it in and forget.

Thanks for the reply. I am still waiting for the genuine Subaru part to arrive in Darwin. I think I will see if I can get the old one exchanged for a reconditioned right one and carry as a spare in case the right one goes.

The left one is finally fixed. At present the right seems to be OK. I have the old left one and when I get back to civilisation will see if I can trade it for a right that has been rebuilt.

The one good thing about all this has been we had to stay in Darwin for a week instead of planned 2 days and today a wonderfull exhibition of Aboriginal Art opened in Darwin. We would have missed this if we hadn't had the problem.

Great to hear that your Forry is up & going again. :)

The one good thing about all this has been we had to stay in Darwin for a week instead of planned 2 days and today a wonderfull exhibition of Aboriginal Art opened in Darwin. We would have missed this if we hadn't had the problem.
As they say, life is full of surprises. :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

I was there in 92 and I enjoyed the military aviation museum. Is it still there?

Yes the Military Aviation museum is still there. Also they have a wonderful museum/art gallery with one of the best Indigenous art displays that I have ever seen.

There is also a section on Cyclone Tracy, the devastation reminded me of the Hiroshima display in Japan. As well as a maritime section with exhibits of boats that brought asylum seekers here.

We were lucky that the CV joint gave out just outside Darwin and the wait for the part meant we were able to see the Darwin Festival of Aboriginal Art that opened on Thursday.

We have done a quick trip through Kakadu and are now in Katherine booked on a cruise up the Gorge tomorrow.

I remember Cyclone Tracy as a kid. All these damaged new cars with NT number plates driving around Sydney. They'd moved all that way for a place to live I assume. What a tragic way to wake up on Christmas morning 1974, the whole city destroyed.

The gorge is very nice- hope you enjoy it. From there, you have Mataranka, the Daly Waters Pub or maybe Cape Crawford? I think I am jealous!

I was working in Darwin the year of Tracy but left in July after 7 months. I worked for a mob called Darwin Glass.
I couldn't beleive it when i saw what had happened on TV.

I am now in Alice Springs after a long soak in The Bitter Springs at Mataranka.

Have found out that the right CV joint is the same part as the left so I will get the old left one reconditioned to replace the right when it goes.

Back