jf1sf5

Forum Member
Car Year
'97
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
After few people asking me about the HotBits coilovers, here is a short write up.

I was looking for maximum wheel travel and always thought that lift kits (strut spacers or/and spring lifts) are not optimal. Let me explain…!

With strut spacers, you keep the oem flex but you move it downwards by the thickness of the spacers (often 2" / 5cm)

With the spring lifts, you loose some flex because the spring rates are higher but you can load more stuff. Well, if you're always loaded, then you keep the oem flex !

2 years ago, I sent an email to HotBits in Malaysia and talked with Toh, the boss (didn't know at that time !) and asked him if it was possible to build some custom coilovers…and he said yes ! The goal was to have oem dampening (for comfort) with the longest stroke possible (for rock crawling…sort of !) so I measured the suspension components and if everything clears off (brake lines, steering etc..).

I found that it is not possible to have more than 24 cm stroke front, even with Heri HD axles unless you have a body lift what I didn't want.

For the rear, 26 cm stroke is not the maximum you can get but the rear axle inner cv's aren't too happy if you go any further…

Next step was to calculate the spring rates, as long and soft as possible to allow full compression without the coils blocking. If interested, I'll explain this too !

A suivre...

Cool!

Questions:

1. What's it like to drive (onroad and off)? Any major changes?

2. Any detail on the install? (pics of the installed coilovers would be cool)

3. How much lift did you get?

4. How much did it cost?

Thanks for starting this, much appreciated. Yours is the best Subaru lift I remember seeing.

I wonder if this kind of lift is possible on multi-link suspension models.

Cool!

Questions:

1. What's it like to drive (onroad and off)? Any major changes?

Its very oem like on road, maybe a little firmer and a bit more roll on tight corners.

2. Any detail on the install? (pics of the installed coilovers would be cool)

Had to pull the front sway bar off completely, was always on the way because of the canisters. Few pics in my members journal of the installed coilovers, will add some more.

3. How much lift did you get?

I have about 2" lift. Good road handling (98%) and enough for off road (2%), but if I really go for more off road, like a trip to Morocco, Corsica…I can lift it up more 1-3cm.

4. How much did it cost?

I paid 2'250.- USD all included 2 years ago.

Hope it answers your questions !

Thanks for starting this, much appreciated. Yours is the best Subaru lift I remember seeing.

I wonder if this kind of lift is possible on multi-link suspension models.

Thank you !

The SG9 Forester (-'08) has the same chassis so it should fit, don't know for the later SH as the chassis is very different at the rear.

Good idea !

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Here is a pic:

2d8etd0.jpg

I have asked for the DT1 version $1500
$2100 for steel pivot top mounts (I want rubber for more comfort)
$365 shipping

I asked how much a 'naked' version would be. They replied with:

Price for the raised height (how much higher than std?) with canister DT1 kit without springs is USD1300.00 a set.

The above picture is my exact set !

Ask for longer canisters (2cm) because of the longer stroke.

I used front oem top mounts (SF or SG are identical) and rear oem SG top mounts I modified for the 60mm ID springs to fit nicely. Due to 25mm "loss" of stroke at full compression because of the oem rear SG top mounts design, I lengthened the shaft by 25mm. You can directly ask for 285 mm stroke for the rear ! Housing is 440mm.

Front housing is 370mm and 240mm stroke. If you want to keep the oem CV axles, you shouldn't go that much, 220/230mm stroke is the maximum unless you add some body lift spacers or go for Heri CV axles.

You will need 1" trailing arm spacers and maybe some rear Impreza GT lateral links (410mm vs 400mm) or rear SG lateral links (415mm) to get a nice alignment. The CV axles are the same.

And maybe is it easier to tell Toh you want the same set as mine but DT1 !

Good info on here. I just want to add a few things:

Reliability:
I've put a couple thousand miles on my set of DT1's, starting in January when the temperature was down near 0*F. I noticed that the seals allowed the shock fluid to weep whenever I rallied at temperatures colder than 40*F.
It's been warm ever since, and I have had no issues with them bending or failing for any odd reason. I have noticed recently that a few of them are leaking shock oil again, so it's probably time for a reseal. I suspect that the seals were damaged due to very small rock and fine mud build up on the rods because they were exposed.

Adjustability:
Not much to say here, but I mainly wanted to say that the dampening adjustment knobs are NOT useless! I know some cheap coilovers have borderline useless adjustment, but these definitely make solid changes to dampening. Also, I asked for their rear camber bolts which have been a huge help! I definitely recommend getting those because they do not cost extra.

Suggestions:
Find some way to protect the rods! My rods are longer than Hotbits' longest available boots, so I bought these (and highly recommend them):

Springs:
You may have noticed that jf1sf5 runs dual springs on his struts. Well, with his math help, I tried to do the same, but because I went ~3 longer overall than his struts, the mid-point of the springs was above the threaded portion of the housing. So I bought 14" Swift Barrel springs, one for each strut. The 14" length had barely enough travel to be able to put on the rear as long as I don't add any preload. They did require me to clearance (bash) the inner fender where the springs rubbed at full droop. "Rubbed" is an understatement there..

Ride Quality:
*Disclaimer* I don't run sway bars.
They ride about like factory struts and springs on road, although I get ALOT of body roll and weight transfer under braking/accel. I'm totally okay with it because I have done alot of rallying on logging roads and found that it would actually be hard to roll this thing haha.
Over large bumps they are so smooth and the dampening is killer! No bounce if set up right, just soaks stuff up.

My Setup:
Hotbits DT1's extended 5" (128mm according to Hotbits) overall.
3" subframe spacers made by ADF
Extended length trailing arms and custom mounts made by me!

At full compression, the ball joints and tie rod ends are about maxed out:

At full droop EVERYTHING is maxed out haha.

20160226_180544 by jeremiah stewart, on Flickr

20160227_162507 by jeremiah stewart, on Flickr

Conclusion:
Well worth the money, the additional travel is not only very useful, it's also very FUN!
I also paid 1300USD shipped for the bare struts.

Side note: Jf1sf5 is who made this all possible-for me at least. He's who I learned about Hotbits' customizability from, and who taught me how to do the math for calculating spring rates, he's the man! :cool:

Wow! Just, wow! These setups look great. And i am loving the video!

Also great fan of Jeremiahs22's work. If i am correct you have a thread on sf.org, the great Alaskan tundra humper. The pictures are incredible!

HotBits has a little selection of stuff for the Fozzy.
Screenshot%202016-09-14%2013.51.38.png

My God now these are some Foresters!
So many questions and so much I don't understand yet!

Ok So from what I understand I Can Pick Up A Pair Of These Dt1's And Bolt Um In To My '00 Sf After Removing The Sway Bar Right Or Wrong?

Jeremiha Is Running A Sub Frame Lift, trailing Arm Spacers, And His Custom Lateral Links That Are Akin To Impreza Or Sg Lateral Links Because He got A Custom And Longer Version Of The Dt1's

Jf1sf5 Is Running Stock Lateral Links And No Subframe Spacers.

Why Switch From Sf To Sg Top Mounts In The Rear?

I Imagine I Would Be Able To Pair This With A Strut Lift From Anderson Or Sumo, anyone Care To Say Why Not?

Im Sure I will Have Much More Questions To Come But I think Thats A Good Start. Please Excuse The Excessive Caps, stupid Phone Wont Play Nice.

And Thanks Lots For What You Posted Already I Have Never Heard About These Hot Bits!

Hmmm…

I have no body lift. But I have 1" trailing arm spacers and SG lateral links for a wider rear track (+3cm) to keep the springs from rubbing the frame at full droop.

I too have a custom length of the DT2 version but a DT1 version is enough for the use.

Rear SG top mounts are easier to modify for the springs to sit nicely (ID 60mm or 2")

Back