Rules are different for 'true' 4wd's

duncanm

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
BH5 Outback. JDM Twin Turbo Conversion
Transmission
5MT DR
rules are also different for 'true' 4wd's.

rules are also different for 'true' 4wd's.

Foresters are categorised as "real 4wds" as we meet 4 out of the 5 requirments: approach angle, departure angle, clearance & drive to all 4 wheels.

Unfortunately Outbacks, Imprezas, etc don't meet this

Foresters are categorised as "real 4wds" as we meet 4 out of the 5 requirments: approach angle, departure angle, clearance & drive to all 4 wheels.

Its difficult to determine if this applies here.

As you say, the ADR Vehicle standards say meeting 4/5 of the criteria puts the car into the MC (Off-road passenger) vehicle category.

However, the tyre size limit says:
The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
- 4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not included in this category;

So just being in the MC category is not enough.

I can't find where 'specifically designed for off-road use' is defined... but I doubt a Forester fits into that definition.

Clear as mud in a deep brown bottle.

Here you go

A couple of people have checked the Forester SF & SG and they definitely pass! The SH/SJ have even more clearance

yes -- but as I quoted from the tyre limit ADR:

All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not included in this category;

So.. are Foresters MC AWD's, or MC 4WD's ?

So.. are Foresters MC AWD's, or MC 4WD's ?

If the centre diff can be locked to provide 50:50 then yes, 4wd. If it has an open diff or electronically controlled like my SH then no, it's AWD

https://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/awd-vs-4wd

TBH you could probably get past insurance and cops anyway by pointing out the 4/5 requirements, I'll let you guys squabble over the nitty gritty, you know where I stand re: lift limits :iconwink: :lol:

The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to:
- 4WD passenger vehicles specifically designed for off-road use (typically MC ADR category). All wheel drive (AWD) vehicles including those AWD vehicles that may be certified as MC ADR category, (also commonly known as soft roaders) are not included in this category;
Subaru have been promoting themselves as being offroad capable in their advertising campaign. So it could be argued that they designed several of their models specifically for offroad use. They left these laws way too open for debate...

Unfortunately Outbacks, Imprezas, etc don't meet this

Eh, not that ADR concerns me but how come only the Foz meets 4/5? So do all Subaru utes. The Foz does not have 28 deg AA, not even close on the current model.

But the ADR is right to ask for 28. Subie AA is atrocious on OB and XV and poor on Foz.

The approach angle is good on the SF & SG, I think the SH too. The SJ unfortunately has a scoop, you're right. The SF & SG Foresters definitely pass, there's a few people in the local Subie 4WD club that have checked it

Back