• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

UHF radio - unit and antenna mounting locations

I just bit the bullet and bought a UHF radio. I decided on a GME TX6155-A. This is a 5 watt hand-held unit that is waterproof and dustproof. It comes with a speaker microphone, a headset and a power cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I can buy an adaptor that will allow an external antenna to be connected to it so I can have the best of both worlds. I got it from Autoelec on-line store for $197.00.

I bought my radio off them. And other stuff as well.

I've got a uniden unit that's a compact design. We've got it roof mounted which works well for several reasons:

1/ unless you squat down when peering inside the vehicle you wouldn't know there was a UHF fitted other than by the external aerial.

2/ all aerial conduit is away from other electrical wiring in the roof panel where it exits externally near the rear tailgate hinge to the rear left roof mounted aerial.

I've also installed a three way switch - accessories ON/off/dual battery ON. Very simple and effective. No need for keys to use this unit - and any unit can be wired in like this ;)

Many options out there, you just have to find one that suits your needs.

Cheers

Bennie

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

I received my radio in the mail yesterday afternoon. I'm very happy with the fact that the desktop charger can be run off 12 volts so I can recharge it as I drive. I also like the headset, same as one for a mobile phone with an earpiece and a microphone with a transmit button on it so I can drive without having to hold the radio in my hand.

I don't have a external antenna for it yet but I'm considering buying a magnetic mounting antenna. The main problem I see with it is that the cable would need to enter the cabin by being compressed in the rubber door seal. I don't think this would damage the cable but it would be a spot for dust entry.

I don't have a bull bar and likely never will and I'm not keen on drilling holes in any of the panels at this stage.

Does anyone have any opinions on magnetic mounting?

The main problem I see with it is that the cable would need to enter the cabin by being compressed in the rubber door seal. I don't think this would damage the cable but it would be a spot for dust entry.

I don't have a bull bar and likely never will and I'm not keen on drilling holes in any of the panels at this stage.

how about run a cable up through the boot grommet at the top of the tailgate and mount your aerial on a rear roof bar ?

The grommet's a good idea but I don't have roof bars. The magnetic one would work there though. Thanks

My Triton has a mobile antenna mounted on the roof tray. I achieved this by running the cable down between the doors, stuck down by gaffer tape, then in through the grommet that provides cabling to the rear door, down the B pillar and into the sill channel where the cable runs along then up into the dash. This will require removing and replacing some trim panels of course.

Most magnetic mount antennas are 2.1 or 2.5db. You need to get an antenna that suits your application. If you need a 6.5 db you might be better off buying a magnetic base and the appropriate whip to suit. You can also change the whip if necessary.
If you have the wrong antenna your radio will not work as well.

My Triton has a mobile antenna mounted on the roof tray. I achieved this by running the cable down between the doors, stuck down by gaffer tape, then in through the grommet that provides cabling to the rear door, down the B pillar and into the sill channel where the cable runs along then up into the dash. This will require removing and replacing some trim panels of course.

I thought about a method like this but I thought that messing around with a grommet that close to the waterline might pose a water entry risk but I suppose some sealant would fix that.

I was hoping to avoid removing trim panels and parts of the dash. This is the primary reason I went for a hand held unit in the first place. I also need to consider how often I would be in a position to need an external antenna and the answer is once in a blue moon as most of my excursions are with a dozen other cars in convoy.

Lots to think about.

Most magnetic mount antennas are 2.1 or 2.5db. You need to get an antenna that suits your application. If you need a 6.5 db you might be better off buying a magnetic base and the appropriate whip to suit. You can also change the whip if necessary.
If you have the wrong antenna your radio will not work as well.

What do I need to suit a 5w unit?

how about run a cable up through the boot grommet at the top of the tailgate and mount your aerial on a rear roof bar ?

Nice idea, I'll look into that when I fit one to my forester.

What do I need to suit a 5w unit?

Depends on terrain more than anything afaik.

low dbi shorter antenna, smaller wavelength shorter range: better for hilly terrain

High dbi, longer antenna, longer wavelength, longer range: better for wide open spaces.

Or something like that..

edit: this might explain better: Mobile Antennas
edit 2: WCLIP477 might be a model you may be interested in..!

So, seeing most of my driving is on coastal forestry tracks in state forests and national parks a short antenna should be the best option so a magnetic mount may be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the link in my previous post.
That model I mentioned might be the bees knees for you as you have a handheld setup, just clip the antenna to your window!

The bee's knees indeed! Looks excellent. Does it mean you have to have the window open a crack to allow entry for the cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd have to, unless the clip is really thin

Looks like nothing is perfect for me :(

Back