Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Fridges

Notices

Old 29th October 2013, 09:22 PM

Year: 2000
Model: EZ30R Forester
Transmission: Dual range manual
Dulagarl is on a distinguished road

^ thanks.

Fair enough re the compressor. I have a waeco which doesn't have that issue.
Old 27th March 2014, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday Folks

I just bought a 35L Gasmate three-way (12V/240V/LPG). I don't really need to keep a Barramundi frozen travelling from Darwin to Melbourne ... .

Running on 240V for the last 4 days in our front entry room ... Depending on where the thermostat is set, it will run between 2 and 8C. The thermostat only works when running on 240V (NOT when on 12V or gas).

From what I have gathered, these absorption type fridges aren't exactly great running on 12V (read: "almost rubbish" ... ), but work well on both 240V and gas, and will keep reasonably cool on 12V. They also need to be kept reasonably level particularly when running on gas.

If they aren't working too well, according to the instructions one should turn it upside down for 3-4 hours!! Something to do with getting the refrigerant in the right places ...

No good if you just want to turn it on and freeze things, like one with a Danfoss compressor, but work far better than an Esky full of melted ice and dead stuff ... .

Seems that it will fit on the D/S rear seat of Roo2. Doesn't really fit well in the cargo area.

Mightn't be the flashest thing ever made, but it also only cost me $283 brand new, and should suit my needs fine ... .
Old 28th March 2014, 04:11 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
Mightn't be the flashest thing ever made, but it also only cost me $283 brand new, and should suit my needs fine ... .
Nothing wrong with that & isn't that the main purpose.... suiting ones needs

Regards
Mr Turbo
Old 28th March 2014, 06:25 AM
Administrator

^ You're right.

It's the very crux of the matter - suiting one's own purposes, not someone else's.

It's amazing how many people lose sight of that simple fact when making all sorts of purchasing decisions!
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Regarding the 35L Gasmate 3 way fridge.

With the ambient being about 18.5C, and the fridge running on 240V with the thermostat set to about 3/4, the temperature in the bottom of the empty fridge is -2C and on top of the cooling element, it's about -5C (that's not a typo - it's in the minus range!).

Measured with an alcohol bulb thermometer.

I have been playing around with the thermostat settings, changing it every day or so to get an idea of what the fridge will actually achieve at what settings.

Can't say I'm unhappy with its performance, thusly far .

I know from lots of comments I have read that these fridges approach lousy performance on 12V, very good on 240V and even better when running on gas.

I haven't tried it on 12V or gas yet. Will update things when I have some experience with those power sources.
Old 4th April 2014, 02:27 AM

Year: sf
Model: sf
Transmission: m
idw is on a distinguished road

Makes sense they'd work well on gas and mains. They've been in caravans longer than I've walked the earth, the 12v always seemed a way of keeping things cool between camp sites until the gas is back on, or powered at a caravan park.
Old 4th April 2014, 02:45 AM
Administrator

^ My thoughts too, Id.

And kerosene fridges well before that! They work on exactly the same principle.
Old 15th August 2014, 11:04 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
silver is on a distinguished road

And!! Remember the dinosaurs...but they are all dead now...things advanced...life became simpler and in my opinion, better. A solar panel, a battery and a fridge with a compressor...no fuss, no bother, more time to drink beer!! MY mate had a 3 way fridge. He was a bit careless and a tight arse. Flat batteries, running out of gas, filling it up every 3 days, the bloody thing cost more in gas than my fridge to buy. He lives out of his van and it was nothing but a pain in the a..e!! He is onto his second 'cheap' fridge in 3 years. I was thinking of buying him a pet Stegosaurus or a fountain pen or maybe a camera that has film in it but settled on just sitting around drinking one of my icy cold beers.
Old 16th August 2014, 01:01 AM
Administrator

^ The dinosaurs ruled the Earth for around 180 million years ...

It wasn't their fault that they were in the road of a medium sized bit of rock doing about 56,000 mph ...

Seriously though, Silver, 3 way fridges do have their place, specially for people (like myself) who don't want to drop a mere couple of grand or so on inverters, batteries and solar panels; regulators and switches; then another grand (or so ... ) on a fridge or fridge/freezer ... 12/240V compressor fridges and fridge freezers also have their place in the scheme of things. I don't have a need to keep a Barramundi frozen from Darwin to Melbourne, via Perth ...

My Gasmate will hold the internal temperature at -2 to +2C running on 240V with the thermostat set on a bit over half. That's better than the refrigerator part of our house fridge! Running on 12v, they will keep things cool, but it requires one to use it how it's intended - get it cold first on 240V or gas, then don't load it up with hot stuff! Running on gas, it appears that one has to turn them off for much of the day so as not to 1) waste gas, and 2) keep them from getting too cold and freezing everything.

Like everything else, it depends on the use and the user. I would prefer my Gasmate to be about 20-25L instead of 35L, but that's how they come. The flexibility of the 3 way fridges suits me quite well.
Old 16th August 2014, 01:42 AM

pezimm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
^ The dinosaurs ruled the Earth for around 180 million years ...
And still they couldn't develop the technology to predict the event that killed them and protect against it...

The fact that the 3-way fridge suits some people doesn't go against the other fact that a compressor powered fridge/freezer is more flexible.

Same way that letter writing in pen/paper works fine, but emails and forums like this are faster, cheaper and more convenient.