• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Fitting a larger spare wheel

Dan-P

Forum Member
I'm sure I've seen a thread on this in the past but can't find it now I am actually looking for it.
Has anyone got a larger than standard spare wheel in the spare wheel well? Will a 215/65 16 spare fit in just by panel beating to re-shape the well, or does it require cutting and welding?

The 215/65 16 will add approx 10mm to the radius of the tyre. So as long as there is a 10mm gap around the stock tyre it will fit. From memory I think it will fit but it will be close with a lot of that horrible squealing noise. Another option is to deflate the tyre so it is a bit more squishable (is that a word?) and carry an air compressor to top up if the spare is required.

I imagine there is probably some difference in the size of the spare wheel well as Subarus have had progressively larger diameter stock tyres. My BG5 came out with a 195/60R15 from memory, so pretty tiny. However I did manage to have a 215/65R16 fit flat in the wheel well when deflated. So i think you should be fine with a little "massage therapy" on the wheel well, hopefully complete with a happy ending. Happy ending been your tyre fitting in the wheel well of course....

If you have a genuine tow bar fitted, you might find that it attaches around the spare wheel well as well (curved fitting). The OEM bar on our MY06 does. Makes it a bit hard to panel beat, as the tow bar steel is about 1.5-2 inches wide and 1/4" thick ...

As others have already said, it really depends on your model and the size of tyres it came with originally, and the size of the rim/tyre you are trying to fit in there.

Thanks for all the replies, nope there is no towbar fitted to complicate things. I have already tried it in the wheel well and confirmed it will not fit without modification. Even fully deflated it is not really 'squishable' due to the thickness of the rubber on the tread (tread depth is approx. 18mm so a fair bit thicker).
After measuring the tyre it is about 700mm diameter at the widest point, presumably also due to the tread depth, so is actually half an inch or so larger than my winter tyres of the same size. This probably explains why it barely goes into the wheel well at all after others said it should fit tightly.
At least I now know it will easily fit in after some slight re-shaping if as taza says, even 225/70 16 will fit.

Thanks for all the quick and useful replies

Hey Dan-P,

I'm assuming you want to fit your mud terrains from the other thread in your Forester's wheel well?

Well, I have fitted my Yoko Geolandar A/T-S 215/65R16 in the well fully inflated just by bashing it in a little. I'm not sure if the muddies are larger than mine, but you should be able to push the sides of the well out enough to fit your tyre.

I suggest using some sort of dye or paint on the wheel to mark where it's touching the well. Something easy you can rub off, then you can continue to do this until it fits fully.

I had to bend the stops on the holding screw a little to give it a bit more thread, but all good.

Good luck!
Pedro.

The corner taper in at the bottom, which is where you lose diameter. To get my spare 225/70R15 in mine (bigger than your tyre), I got a longer bolt to grab in the tie down point which then pulls the tyre right down to the base by deforming the tyre to fit. If you're relying on just pushing it in there flush I don't think it will ever happen.

My 215/75/15 a/t fit at around 18psi after i jumped on it. But i carry a compressor in the quarter panel so if i need it i can always inflate it.

It was all so much easier when Subaru stuck the spare on top of the engine.

Just a quick update to say thanks to all and that all went well.

It is still a fairly tight fit though, although the boot floor seems to sit flat. I have no idea how Taza fitted a 29" tyre in the well which is 1.5" larger diameter than my spare. I guess he must have a bigger hammer than me or a lot more patience :biggrin:

Larger tyres go in more easily if deflated but you need a pump and be prepared to use it.
I solve this problem by mounting the second, inflated, spare on an external carrier off the rear bumper.

I got the same size as Taz to fit in my XT took a lot of beating and the tyre cant be fully inflated.

The floor sits flat and nice but only when something is on top. If there isnt theres a very small gap

Back