Who is Your Insurer

NachaLuva

Product Developer
Who is your insurer & how have you found their policies? Esp useful is if you have had to make a claim, how cooperative were they?

Some things to note would be:
*premiums
*excess
*coverage
-what roads are excluded (usually any named road or track is covered)
-what mods are covered (we're talking legal mods here lol. No insurer will cover 37" muddies!)
*service
*claims

^ Over-Fifty (Allianz).

No claims to date. This is not unusual for me/us, as neither of us has had to claim against our own policies for 30+ years.

We have no cover for anyone under the age of 30 y.o. driving our vehicles (unless stolen by that person; or they are employed at a repair establishment or as a car park attendant).

There is an inexperienced driver excess that applies ($500).

Interestingly, in the PDS there is this:

"6. Unsafe vehicle
being used in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition.
We will not refuse your claim if you can prove
that the accidental loss, damage or liability was
not caused or contributed to by the unsafe or
unroadworthy condition of your vehicle
."

IOW, go ahead and try. "Prove" in this context necessarily implies "Prove in court" IMHO & IME.

There is no exclusion for un-named or un-made roads.

Policy is for an agreed sum that it still around the price I paid for the vehicle about 2.5 years ago.

My trailer insurance is with the RACV.

Don't have insurance at the moment because I drive maybe twice a month, but lately I've been looking into insurance and Noone will insure my car with the mods I'm considering. It sucks.

Don't have insurance at the moment because I drive maybe twice a month, but lately I've been looking into insurance and Noone will insure my car with the mods I'm considering.
Please say you at least have 3rd party & mean no insurance as in not having full comprehensive.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Deffs get 3rd party. If you hit a bmw or kill somone you'll spend the next 20 years paying off the debt.

Im with RAC for my brumby and its insured for 5k. Costs me about $400 a year, which isnt too bad since I'm 21 years of age.
The foz is insured with Amii as they cover it with all my modifications with a total agreed valve of $8500. I made sure they covered the modifications and accessories. They have photos of my vehicle and kbmnow that I have a 50mm lift kit.
If you want to insure a modified car its hard to do it for a cheaper premium.

With insurance your best to go with a well known company. Not a no name company because if it comes time to make a claim then you want to know that you will be covered.

Note: for all the WA people, RAC does not cover any vehicle with modifications. Only the standard ones like bullbar and spotties.

What do people think about GIO compared to AAMI?

I cant get comprehensive (car is a stat write off due to hail damage). TPFT for AAMI is $304, GIO is $255. Both have $5000 cover for damage by an uninsured driver & a hire car (now where are those tracks lol), both excess $650. Both max cover $4550 for F&T.

In fact, apart from the premium, both seem to be identical incl the quoting system (same parent company?)

Does anyone have any experience with what each is like regarding claims, which really is the whole point :poke:

I went with Amii as they cover all legal mods unlike GIO.... Same with RAC and a heap of others.

Since your 3rd party it doesn't really matter whether they cover the mods or not...

In fact, apart from the premium, both seem to be identical incl the quoting system (same parent company?)

Yes, Suncorp I believe.

BTW - Both cars insured via the 4WD Assoc group insurance with Allianz. You have to be a member of an association 4WD club. I think it's expensive but then there is the comfort that there is absolutely no doubt about the intention for offroad activity.

Last edited:
Yes, Suncorp I believe.

So will there be any differences in how they handle mods?

BTW - Both cars insured via the 4WD Assoc group insurance with Allianz. You have to be a member of an association 4WD club. I think it's expensive but then there is the comfort that there is absolutely no doubt about the intention for offroad activity.

Sounds good but expensive lol :iconwink:

Please say you at least have 3rd party & mean no insurance as in not having full comprehensive.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I'm looking for third party, apparently my car will be too heavily modified to insure

The main problem I find for my Foz is that accessories / modifications can be no more than 50% of the book value of the car itself. My mods are now worth more than the car itself! but I cannot insure them for the real replacement value.

I'm with Suncorp now after many years with RACQ.
$469 for the XT, comprehensive, market value with standard $600 excess.
1 free window a year, hire car.
Haven't had a claim but have just had windscreen claim on the Golf & they were good to deal with.

I can't speak for the GIO as I've never had to deal with them.

However when I had to make a claim (about 10 yrs ago) with AAMI & were fantastic & very easy to deal & work with.

BTW that accident is how I found out about Subaru, hence why I now own a Forry :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Our three Foresters are insured through RACV. I have had the misfortune to break 3 windscreens on one vehicle in one policy year. A hazard of driving daily on country roads. RACV replaced all 3 under the policy without excess and no impact on premium.

Went with GIO. I couldnt get TPF&T either as my car is hail damaged. TPPD was $183 or $15pm.

Both GIO & AAMI dont need mods to be listed anymore but they agreed its a good idea to keep receipts & take photos. Just Car did list all mods & would accept mods to any value with an "agreed value" on a comprehensive policy. He noted this wouldnt be the true value, eg $5k car + $5k mods = maybe $8k agreed value

Australian 4WD insurance:

https://www.dgainsurance.com.au/4wd.htm

Market value plus market value of all repairs and modifications. As you can imagine with all my mods that adds up to a sizeable amount.

being 4wd insurance it covers off road accidents with standard excess.

Underwritten by Allianz. No claims, but I'm very happy with them.

Previous insurer was Shannon's. I'm not with them any more for good reason.

Well good f***ing thing for insurance!!!

Was at Tafe yesterday(Thurs), parked the brumby on the street. Anyway about 15mins before class finishes we all heard this car doing a burnout then crashed... Go out to my car 10mins later and lucky me :poke:
He spun out and cleaned up the drivers side of my brumby.
Pushed in the door and rear quarter panel, the rear suspension is creaking and the door sill is f***ed! The guard is pushed in and sill torn open.

Thanks to all those f****** ***** out there in Nissan 180 SX's and the likes for trying to show off.

A lecturer at the tafe got the licence plate of the car as he drove off.
5mins before I got to the car he left a note saying sorry with a name and number.... got in contact with him to find he is a apprentice mechanic and wants to do a dodgy back yard job to fix it.

I told him to get ****** and filed a police crash report and called my insurance company. Informed them of the situation and they said it'd be followed up and I am not to worry nor am I out of pocket.

Still my bloody luck that it happened though... got the foz with the motor on my workshop floor and a busted ute in the driveway. Ontop of that I lost my glasses and my phone is dyeing. What a week :furious: :sad:

Aw geez, Taza. What a filthy mongrel.

Glad your insurer is on side!

Get your lecturer a bloody big box of chockies!! He did well. Very well :biggrin:.

Back