Pitstop awning tent review

sjm

Forum Member
Rays had a sale over the weekend, and I picked up one of these tents for just over $50. Normally, I make do with a tarp and poles for short stops, but I figured for the price, I'd give it a go.

This awning is designed for short stops, not long term use. It's probably okay for an overnighter in a caravan park or something similar. It comes with suction cups for fixing to the roof, but I just tied it to the roof rails. It's not quick to erect, and I wouldn't be keen on doing it in the rain, but once it's up, it certainly provides more shelter than a tarp.

The height is perfect for the MY11 Forester, the hatch just scrapes the roof when fully opened, but the walls are too long (it's designed for a bigger 4WD), and they don't fit snuggly against the side of the vehicle, they need to be pegged out a bit to make it taut. This means wind can get in the gap. I can easily stand up inside, and there's plenty of room for a couple of chairs and a table.

The three side walls all open independently of each other, so there should be no problem with the direction of rain.

Personally, I don't see it being of much use - the time it takes to erect is similar to a larger, full size tent, and if I was staying somewhere for long, I'd pitch a proper tent. For short breaks in the rain, or if I need some shade, a tarp will suffice. I think it would be much more suitable if it was somehow mounted onto the roof rails or basket, then just popped out. But hey, for $50, it's okay.

bIMG_1976.jpg

bIMG_1977.jpg

bIMG_1989.jpg

bIMG_1995.jpg

bIMG_1996.jpg

bIMG_1998.jpg

bIMG_2005.jpg

bIMG_2006.jpg

I got the same tent it comes with suction cups which aren't all that fantastic when it's windy. Better to tie to the roofracks like what sjm did

Thanks for the review. I've been considering getting this particular shade as the various car awnings are all in the $250+ range. It doesn't look great but as you said for $50 (I think they're normally about $80) you can't complain as long as it does what it's meant to. I'd use it on the beach where I might be lounging around for a couple of hours. How long does it actually take to put up? For day trips do you think getting a proper awning is the way to go?

Pitty about the sides etc with it allowing for the wind to get in, but as you said, it was only $50.

Regards
Mr Turbo

My "Crusader tent" only takes me about 5-10 minutes to put up, is wind and leak proof, and if I spend another 5 mins, I can put stays up to stabilise it in high winds.

Much more importantly, I only need two hands at a time to put it up ...

I can also use it for a base to put up a big poly tarp if staying for longer than over night.

Seems that this screen is a time wasting irritation, rather than a benefit.
Of course, I could be wrong ... :iconwink: :ebiggrin:

Back