Victoria - Little desert national park - 0ct

Some folks have been asking where Schultz's Beach is, for the purposes of meeting on the Friday afternoon / evening.

According to my GPS, it is:

36 02'48S
141 51'27E

Access is signposted from the Nhill Rainbow Road on the western side of Lake Hindmarsh. Its about a km from the road along a dirt track. Once you see a toilet block you are there.

You'll find that people are within Radio range, and there is also patchy mobile phone cover.

I'm sure that Richard (Subaruby) will post a roll call at some point.

I suggest that we not use UHF 16 in this part of the state. It is used as an emergency channel in Wyperfeld: weather national park, and we're not far from there. UHF 15 might be better.

EDIT: Weather for Albacutya (nearest location)

https://www.willyweather.com.au/vic/wimmera/albacutya.html

Friday: Showers, max of 27
Sat: Showers, chance of Thunderstorm (yay!) max 26
Sun: partly cloudy 27

Last edited:
I'm sure that Richard (Subaruby) will post a roll call at some point.

Posted last night on ausubaru but forgot to post here, sorry

Ok probably time we got a roll call.

If people can post up confirmation of their attendance and whether you will be there Friday night or Saturday morning.

I will be there late Friday afternoon, around 4.30 to 5.00pm

I suggest that we not use UHF 16 in this part of the state. It is used as an emergency channel in Wyperfeld: weather national park, and we're not far from there. UHF 15 might be better.

I will post this on ausubaru too

Good stuff Richard.

Dunno why the word "weather" appears in my post after the word 'Wyperfeld". Ah well.

I'm a definite starter.

I will be there Friday night / afternoon. Hoping to actually hit the road Thursday and take my time getting there.

For early arrivals at Schultz's beach, there are many tracks to explore heading north from the camping area, and they eventually make it out to the Rainbow road. This is something to do if bored.

Also, its worth having a look at the Jeparit weir if coming that way. It was totalled by the floods in January, and will cost a few million to fix. Unbelievable considering the lake hadn't had inflows since before 1996.

imgp5235t.jpg

Also, a couple of pics to whet your appetite. Looking east from Schultz's beach at sunset last time I was there in June

imgp5164s.jpg

looking west at sunset

imgp5165p.jpg

and south at dawn

imgp5174.jpg

Some pics from Round Swamp in Wyperfeld. It got cold that night: ice on the car...

imgp5195.jpg

a Kestrel that was too cold to take off...

imgp5200.jpg

and the GPS by the time I remembered it had a temperature function.

imgp5206z.jpg

It won't get that cold this trip. I promise.

Those are some pretty sweet shots! Thanks for sharing. That -2c is just right for camping in my book ;) . Usually we wind up sleeping outside next to the fire because the tent in that weather turns into a freezer!

Those sunset pics are magic Dulagarl :raz: :cool:
And the pic of the Kestrel, not wanting to take off in the cold, is a beauty too :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Heading off tomorrow, yah :D

So we have

El_Fredoo
Venom
Pezimm
Nachaluva

all coming from the Robe trip to meet up on the Friday night.

Subaruby
Dulagarl
Bcoutback
Phizinza (from S.A)

also meeting up on the Friday night.

Did I miss anyone?

Are there any other takers?

Just need to know if we need to organise a meet point for anyone who wants to meet up on the Saturday morning?

Have top time everyone together with a safe one.

Look forward to hearing & seeing some pics of your adventures when you return.

Regards
Mr Turbo

^ thanks everyone. we'll try hard to have fun.

I've got Monday and Tuesday off, so I reckon I'll come back south via border track...

any takers?

Just got back. As far as I know there were no injuries and no serious damage to any vehicles. Great trip and a great bunch of people.

I might get 'round to putting some pics up later tonight.

Thanks to all for a great trip. & thx Greg for some very interesting narration on the local "songline"...have you thought of becoming a tour guide? lol

Back