shanditalia458

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Legacy L
Transmission
4EAT
Hi all,

Recently got the idea to add a roof rack to my parts list to modify my DD 1996 Legacy wagon.

Is it possible to bolt one on to a bare roof? If so, where could I find instructions to do so?

And I suppose instructions are only useful if I have the actual rack. Anyone know where I can buy one? Again for a 1996 Legacy wagon.

Appreciate the advice/input.

Doesn't the Legacy have old-school gutter rails along the sides of the roof? In that case, traditional gutter-mount crossbars would work best. Something [ame=https://smile.amazon.com/Aluminum-Cargo-Carrier-Basket-Cross/dp/B01GEWA5MU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1494517653&sr=8-4&keywords=roof+rack+brackets]like this on Amazon[/ame] should fit the bill. Key is to include "gutter mount" in your search terms.

Indeed it does, but I have a bare roof. So I need the rails AND the crossbars

Link I posted is for gutter-mount bars and basket. But I'm sure there are many, many others. Just gotta decide on target price and looks. Last time I got gutter-mount bars, for an old Land Cruiser, I found a used set of Thule bars for a good price on eBay.

I have no experience with roof baskets. Like the looks. But the drag always stops me.

So "someone" must've taken the roof rails off - yes? In that case you should refit roof rails and racks.

Indeed it does, but I have a bare roof. So I need the rails AND the crossbars

Hold on! Are you saying that you are missing the gutters on the side of your roof? I wouldn't have thought those could be removed. If they're gone, I guess you'll have to replace them first, as Kevin suggests. Don't think I've ever seen a roof rack attached directly to a Subaru's roof.

I think the 1996 Legacy is gutterless.

Thanks for clarifying, Kevin. When I asked whether his Legacy had gutters, shanditalia458 responded that "indeed it does." So I was just going off that.

Looks like a case of the blind leading the blind. :p

No worries; my '97 Outback had no gutters so I assume the '96 Legacy was the same. As I recall there was a trim piece of some sort to redirect water but not the hard metal gutters suitable for mounting roof rack feet.

Wow love the response guys.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I am not sure what "gutters" even are, I just assumed it was a naked roof and the gutters where the channels that the tops of the window frame sat in. However reading the new posts suggests that this is not the case.

Appreciate all the response regarding my question. I am actually completely ok with no roof rack (seeing as this is the only option. No rack options exists for my low-ball waging haha)

I will look further into the whole roof accessory thing at a later date. However all of you have provided me with sufficient info as to draw a pretty concise conclusion. It is a no-go on a rack.

OK - no need to rack our brains any further then :lol:

Back