OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > General Forum

Notices

Unread 28th January 2016, 08:39 AM
Forum Member

Phizinza is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 Outback 2.5 with CVT, your thoughts?

My wife wants a Subaru. We were thinking Forester, around the 2008 era but the extra room and newer model ofoutback for the same price is tempting. I've read a few good reports on the CVT transmissions, both for on road and offroad but I'd like to hear your opinions.
Unread 28th January 2016, 08:47 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2005 and 2014
Model: Forester and Outback
Transmission: 5 speed manual and 7 speed CVT
PauSum is on a distinguished road

I just towed a 1400kg camper all the way from WA to Tas and back (just over 10000km) and I am amazed with the performance of the CVT - particular in the winding Tasmanian roads. Mine is a diesel though.

Had my car serviced today and have been told no need to change the CVT fluid!
Unread 28th January 2016, 07:55 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2014
Model: xv
Transmission: manual
gregjet is on a distinguished road

I drove a CVT XV and hated it so much on the road I can't even begin to voice my comments. BUT I can see where theoretically it could ( with traction control) be a very useful thing offroad allowing you to keep the revs at a good torque point. Again on a diesel it makes sense as they have a much narrower range of useful rpm. I will be interested to see the comments from people with the setup on a petrol motor.
Unread 28th January 2016, 09:30 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester 2.0D Premium
Transmission: 6 MT
Robbks is on a distinguished road

I pretty much hate something about the engine/ gearbox or the power delivery in every Subaru I drive for the first time.

They are all pretty-much quirky in one way or another.
About the only New Subaru I drove that impressed me out of the box to drive was an '02 STi with 6speed.

As for CVT as a technology, again it's how you learn to drive it and get the best out of it.
the XV Greg drove probably had 91RON fuel in it and was up to 30% down on torque in various places in the rev range.

As for them being more suited to a Diesel due to a short rev range, that's not entirely true.
The Diesel may have a short rev range, but with a torque band that runs from 1400rpm up to 3000rpm AT peak torque for all of it, and even from 1300rpm up to 4000rpm still maintaining 80% or more. you can get the car rolling, pick 3rd gear and drive around pretty much everywhere in the one gear.
I would think it to be a much better technology for lower-torque or peaky engines, like the newer 2.0 FA/FB's and last of the EJ25's
Unread 28th January 2016, 10:26 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

I've heard the CVT can struggle on very steep climbs. PauSum's experience sounds great though
Unread 30th January 2016, 01:30 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

Steep climbs or standing starts with too much resistance on the wheels - eg: in soft sand after being stationary (that's just what I've heard).

The tranny just says "Umm no"...
Unread 30th January 2016, 02:12 AM
Forum Member

Phizinza is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments.

How does the 4sp compare to the 5sp autos?
Unread 31st January 2016, 11:41 PM
Forum Member

It doesn;t,
the new VTD 5speed's as fitted to the 2011+ S-Edition forester, and a hos of outbacks, etc is a very nice box to drive with.

As for the issues with VTD just saying no with the excess load, that is also true of my Manual 6-speed Diesel before I had the ECU tuned.
the ECU is limiting the torque that can be transferred into the drivetrain.
An ECU Reflash to lift the torque limiter function is all that's required.

most tuners now have an extremely good tune out of the box for most Subaru's these days, so 30 minutes to reflash the ECU and a quick test drive while monitoring a few key parameters is all that's required.
Unread 1st February 2016, 07:41 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2014
Model: xv
Transmission: manual
gregjet is on a distinguished road

Robkks,
The CVT tries to keep the motor at the optimium revs for the motor's outpur ( I would assume torque but it may be HP. That you will have to tell me. ) Surely it would be a matter of adjusting the gearbox to the output optimium at the diesel revs instead of the petrols higher range. That would be just a gearing issue. As far as I knew CVT's were originally developed by DAF for diesels ( trucks).
My problem with the CVT wasn't that it doesn't work, but that I couldn't find a way to get the engine to deliver decent torque to drive out of the corner. And I tried several different strategies.
I fully admit that the fault may be mine in total. I didn't like it though and the other car I drive is my girlfriend's Corolla. Swapping between cars was hard enough with my manual diesel rodeo a. A CVT would have just been frustrating and even more so when she drove my car ( accelerating out of corners is NOT her strong point).
Unread 1st February 2016, 10:29 PM
Forum Member

Sounds like the same accelerating out of corners issue you had with your current XV.

Torque limiters and throttle delay in the ECU spoiling the fun.
even the steering angle sensor causes issues with torque delivery, it's been logged on a dyno when tuning various models.
if you move the steering wheel off centre by a certain amount, the ECU pulls torque to save the drivetrain (CV's, Diff's, etc)