16 inch mud terrains

Dan-P

Forum Member
Well after a bit of browsing around I managed to find a couple of choices for muddies to fit the standard wheels.
So today I had a set fitted to the Forester in the same size as my previous tyres (215/65 16). Interestingly the blokes who run the shop (JCS 4x4 near Derby) also run Subarus :ebiggrin:

A couple of bad pics due to a combination of fading light and not much space

15i418h.jpg

dfxgyr.jpg

What brand and model of tyre is it as I can only find AT's in the 215/65 size

They are Recip Trials. The other mud terrain I found that are the same size are the Marix Puma.
Both seem widely available all over Europe, but I have no idea if they are available where you are in Australia.

Awesome looking tyres! :lildevil:

Found a set on ebay, sold, they were retreads though

Thanks to the EU nearly all the off road biased tyres here and presumably in the rest of Europe are remoulds. It's because of the tyre noise limits that were brought in a couple of years ago. As I understand it most mud terrains are over the limit, so can not be supplied for road use. As a result people are just switching to remoulds instead as they are exempted from the noise limits.
Not exactly sure why this is, something to do with them being recycled so they must be all good as you're saving the planet by using them don't you know:rotfl:

Can't you just buy 15" rims for offroad use?

On SG Foresters, they don't fit straight out of the box. This is because the front brake calipers are a little too large for a standard 15in rim.

Many members here got a specific 15in Audi A3 rim, which fits the bolt pattern and clears the brakes, but you have to use an insert for the centre bore as well as dowels to adapt your Subaru wheel nuts or get new ones with the round mating surface.

Another alternative is to grind a couple edges off the calipers to make the Subaru 15in rim found in the SF Forester fit...

Pedro.

Its actually not necessarily that straight forward. yes there are mts for 15" rims, but they're all 27.5" or closer to 28" (or bigger with tread depth) because they're all 215/75r15. 215/65R16 is 27" and really an ideal size for the occasional offroader, it's also very close to the legal tyre size increase depending on model.

Originally Posted by NachaLuva
Awesome looking tyres! :lildevil:

Found a set on ebay, sold, they were retreads though

Thanks to the EU nearly all the off road biased tyres here and presumably in the rest of Europe are remoulds.

Oh I thought they were. Retreads are illegal on cars here, only legal for trucks but not on the steering wheels.

Make sure you dont go too fast on them...they have a habit of delaminating at speed! :eek:

Oh I thought they were. Retreads are illegal on cars here, only legal for trucks but not on the steering wheels.

Make sure you dont go too fast on them...they have a habit of delaminating at speed! :eek:

I'm pretty sure they will be fine, they are rated to 106mph, although I know some brands are rated considerably lower. I must admit I never really considered remoulds before I looked into it properly and got the opinions of people who had been running them for years already.
As far as I am aware (although I am no expert on the subject) to be sold here remoulded tyres have to pass the same type approval tests as new tyres.
I also believe they have to be fully bead to bead remoulded, unlike what I would call retreaded tyres which I have seen in other countries (USA somewhere IIRC) which look more like a new tread has just been stuck to the outside of a used tyre with even the original casing details still visible.

Back