• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed
Hey guys, first post here, ABFoz I hear you with the certification hoops we have to jump through in NZ.

On the front tie down hooks subject, I bellied out and buried the nose of my SH Foz a while back in a riverbed. With no other option and with one hook buried, we managed to pull out on one hook with a couple of reasonable snatches. I wouldn't recommend it if another option is available, but they do hold up to a good pull.

G'day & Welcome aboard [MENTION=16104]Darth[/MENTION]

I skied around Wanaka after driving down from Christchurch, then also drove onto Queenstown for a day visit. It's that drive in a rented Subie where I made my decision to get an Outback on my return home.

Welcome on board, [MENTION=16104]Darth[/MENTION]. Good to know the front hook held up. My SG has two front tow points I can attach a distribution strap on for snatching but I usually wheel alone so I just bought a pair of recovery tracks. I guess I can let go of my recovery firewood now!

You have a good place to do a lot of wheeling there. Forests here in Auckland have already been closed because of the Kauri dieback disease, even in Woodhill. I may migrate to the South Island because Auckland is being Auckland. Also, the tracks there in the South Island are very, very diverse.

Beachworm, all true, good advice & knowledge.

If there is a tow hook thread on both sides at the front a type of 4 way slip sling attaching to the two tie down points & two tow hooks might give a more gentle pull on multiple points. Need to stop talking & start buying.

May consider buying a lighter breaking strain snatch strap/kinetic rope for a ATV/UTV or similar, say 3,500-4000lb BS & rig it so no shackles go flying & use the lower BS as a safety measure. Could always wait until my 5,000lb snatch gets old & worn. :biggrin:

Plan to go for the 2" lift, bigger tyres, skid plate to start with. Again too much talk not enough action.

Thanks [MENTION=15881]ABFoz[/MENTION], get in touch if you're ever down this way!

I was going to grab some soft shackles for this front hook set up with the distribution strap. Has anyone used these much before? They look a lot safer and I assume they'll be a little nicer on the front bumper too. Though that does flex about as needed.

[MENTION=16009]ignas[/MENTION]

Sadly there is only one fixing point for the eye bolt on the front and one on the rear. I've had a good look behind the front bar and no joy. Certainly you don't want the shackle being the weakest link. Similarly you wouldn't want the eye bolt or the tie-down hook to become a projectile either,

You must use a damper on the snatch strap and that will reduce the risk of anything flying too far but the best strategy is to know your limits and those of your car and don't get stuck where you can't extricate yourself by other means than a front snatch.

We had a SH XT in the club that was snatch on more than one occasion using the eye bolt without any issues.

There is no doubt that you can do it. The point I have made is that Subaru does not recommend it because the eye bolt is designed for a tow or winch recovery, not a snatch. If a snatch recovery is used and the eye bolt fails or pulls out or damages the sub frame of the car in some way you have no recourse to recover any losses from Subaru.

If it works, great. If it doesn't, it's the owners problem.

Im sorry so newer foresters dont have 2 recovery points in front anymore?

Back