Beach Duning in an 05 Impreza

numpty14

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Impreza
Transmission
Auto
Hi, I’ve been throwing around the idea of getting my subie into the beaches of Port Stephens, a little apprehensive about it for a few reasons and just hoping someone can help me out.

- I’m worried about the sand ruining my car! What are some basic rules of thumb that I can follow to ensure my cars lifespan doesn’t dramatically drop

- Any specific mods and equipment that are must haves or that you’d recommend before heading out?

Thanks for all your help

- I’m worried about the sand ruining my car! What are some basic rules of thumb that I can follow to ensure my cars lifespan doesn’t dramatically drop
Personally I'd be more worried about salt. Make sure you give it a good wash soon afterwards, particularly underbody is my suggestion.

- Any specific mods and equipment that are must haves or that you’d recommend before heading out?

I don't really do beach driving but:

• Air down your tyres just before, and air them back up just after duning, if that can be considered a mod. ;) Don't drive for extended periods with aired down tyres, especially on paved surfaces..
  • Be careful when turning on aired down tyres, it's relatively easy for them to break a bead when aired down and turning, they can pretty much just peel off I've heard.
As to must haves.. nothing really, you could go a lift though if you're going over really big stuff, it should help.
Tyres are something also to consider.. Increasing the width of the contact point would alwas be of benefit, but if it's only occasionally off road, you'd be best off with good road tyres from a handling point of view.

If you have a look around this section of the forum you'll find good advice. Subies love the sand up there!

A skid plate would be great otherwise you'll risk tearing off the plastic tray under the engine - if it's still there.

You'll need several items that are already mentioned here e.g. long-handled shovel, air pump, snatch strap and rated shackles. Potentially a sand flag.

If this is your first time on the dunes make sure you have another vehicle with you. Your cooling system will need to be in top shape.

Give it a really good wash, especially underneath, after the trip.

and....have fun!

Subies are great on sand!!

It's all about tyre pressures. Air down to 16psi or 12psi if it's really soft. This makes the tyre "bag out" which increases the contact patch & helps the tyre to float over the surface instead of plow through it. Contrary to popular perception, it's the length of the contact patch that matters, not the width. The leading edge of the tyre flattens the sand, so the wider it is the more resistance. The rest of the contact patch provides the grip.

Turn gently while aired down so you don't roll a bead or get sand in the bead. 16psi is pretty safe, I've done donuts without problems lol. But 12psi you need to be careful.

When stopping, roll to a stop don't brake, facing downhill for an easy start.

Take off gently, don't dig the tyres in.

If you start to get bogged, stop immediately before you dig holes. Reverse back up your tyre tracks where the sand is compressed & try again, this time with more momentum.

Subarus love to rev, don't be scared to give it some. That doesn't mean flog it lol, but it's a free revving engine that likes to be occaisionally opened up.

This is on the hardest line on Big Red in the Simpson Desert. No 4wd even attempted this line while we were there. You can hear the engine bouncing off the limiter, you won't need to go this hard though

https://youtu.be/aU5W0l2-L_Y

The sand up here can be quite soft so you probably want to run your tyres around 14-15 PSI. You can drop to 10 PSI but only if you get stuck as the risk increases of rolling the tyre off the rim or getting sand in-between the rim and tyre seal which will deflate the tyre - been there done that ;-)

Contrary to popular perception, it's the length of the contact patch that matters, not the width. The leading edge of the tyre flattens the sand, so the wider it is the more resistance. The rest of the contact patch provides the grip.
[Off-Topic]
Ahh! I've learnt something today. It's important to learn at least one new thing every day. :)
[/Off-Topic]

Back