ALMOSTunseen

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
5MT
Well written.
It is very important to make sure you insurer knows your mods, and that they are all legal. As some brokers have no idea what is legal/or not and just writes down whatever you say on the policy doc, and if you ever have to do a claim, it can be rejected due to the policy having illegal things on it etc.

Thanks, Au.

If it's written on the policy, they are deemed to have accepted the risk, regardless. i.e. they're stuffed.

Of course, the really dangerous thing is voiding one's statutory personal injury insurance, and that will sometimes be voided by mods that do not comply with the ADRs for the particular vehicle. Your comprehensive insurer might be stuffed by their own policy document, but the statutory insurer has the law on their side, and their 'policy' cannot be altered by us in any way.

Ok I thought it was for both injury and comprehensive, because the insurers have objections that overrule when there is a claim made, and allows them to deny it because the mods don't comply with the law(and ADR as you said).

Thanks for clearing that up.

Also I believe this info is correct for max width allowed, from https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf
Screen%2BShot%2B2015-02-11%2Bat%2B2.17.37%2Bpm.png

Fantastic find, Au!

I just cannot believe that they can publish a table like this without also factoring in rim diameter! :shrug:

I haven't worked out the figures, but this table seems to be in complete contradiction of the 2" lift rule??

you can't take the table alone as what you're allowed to fit

Raising the height of the vehicle may be performed without certification providing the overall increase in vehicle height is not more than 50mm. This may be achieved as a single modification such as the installation of a 50mm lift kit, or by a combination of smaller lifts as described below:
 the fitting of body blocks or lift kits (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a change of vehicle height are performed);
 suspension modification, (50mm maximum if no other modifications resulting in a
change of vehicle height are performed);
 changes to tyre size (maximum change in tyre size diameter of 50mm); or
 a combination of the above that results in a change of vehicle height not exceeding
50mm.

No idea on the lift rule, it only covers tire width.
The lift rule is a bit weird, some say it is just suspension or body lift, while others say it is the roof height of the vehicle before and after. I believe the latter is correct.

Gidday Rob

You are quite right, of course. One can never read any legislative instrument, whether Act or Regulation or rules made as a result of either of them as a standalone document. It must always be read in the context of the Acts Interpretation Act (among others ...) As well as in the context of all other relevant legislative instruments.

e.g. in Victoria, the Coastal Management Act has to be read in the context of the Crown Land Reserves Act, the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act, the Wildlife Act, the Forests & Lands Act, the various Conservation Acts, the Planning Act, the Water Act and the Federal Biodiversity Act, among others, as well as the regulations made under those acts ... I might have forgotten one or two! :poke: :rotfl:.

I rang my insurer and they told me i can fit larger tyres no worries as long as they comply with adr's

Problem is even a 215/65 r16 is above the legal maximum 15mm increase in tyre diameter for a passenger car (which i believe the forester is classified as)

I need to get onto an aussie somehow when i ring them again, so can organise something in writing.

Will still be my most legal car ive owned by FAR

Gidday Greeno

I rang my insurer and they told me i can fit larger tyres no worries as long as they comply with adr's

Problem is even a 215/65 r16 is above the legal maximum 15mm increase in tyre diameter for a passenger car (which i believe the forester is classified as)

My local Bridgestone dealer flatly refused to contemplate fitting 215/65 16" to my SG until I pointed to the vehicle's compliance plate which states that it is classified as an "MC" vehicle.

Now I am not suggesting for a single instant that our Foresters are considered to be an MC vehicle under VSB14 (they very definitely are not ... ), but tyre fitters will take cognisance of this classification on the compliance plate as far as fitting slightly over size tyres from the size stated on the tyre placard.

As with just about everything, if you don't go overboard you can get away with some things.

Please be very careful about that statement " ... complies with the ADRs ... ". This seemingly simple comment gives them so many outs that it ain't funny!

For a passenger car, passenger car derivative or ‘soft roader’ (an all wheel drive vehicle that may be certified as MC ADR category), the overall diameter of any tyre fitted must not be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.

Thats straight off the qld transport modifications rulebook

Pretty lame

Ah well, I'm talking about how tyre dealers read this, not how a Qld public servant interprets it.

Chances are that none of the boys in blue will ever bother to check the tyre placard, unless one has done something ridiculous ... :poke: :iconwink:.

^ I actually asked a police officer about some of this stuff while getting some info up at the local Bridgestone shop a couple of years ago now. He was having a new Bridgie fitted to his candy car. They are (were?) the standard pursuit tyre here in Victoria.

We chatted for a bit, and I asked him if he would be concerned if he pulled me over for doing 190 kmh on an S rated tyre. He laughed and said "Mate, that would be the least of your worries" ... He was obviously one of the good guys. The other type don't seem to possess a sense of humour!

[EDIT]

BTW, VSB14 is the bible, by and large.
Even it is confused, confusing and apparently self-contradictory!
These days, a LC Sahara is a "passenger based vehicle" ... Hmmmm

[end edit]

Last edited:
Back