Robe/Beachport SA Sand 4wd Easter Sunday

El_Freddo

Forum Member
Car Year
1988, 1990
Car Model
EJ22'd L series; Targa Brumby
Transmission
Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
Trip Report: Robe and Beachport SA sand 4wd.

Over the easter weekend my fiance and I headed over to Robe for some 4wd’n since Ruby Scoo is now lifted. We left late morning on Saturday, taking our time to cruise over.

p4030084.jpg

p4030091.jpg

We were able to organise accommodation at Beachport in one of the caravan parks. It was packed!

p4040122k.jpg

Ruby Scoo made it over easily on one tank - 57 litres when we filled up in Robe on Sunday morning (Bendigo-St Arnaud-Horsham-Naracoorte-Robe-Beachport-Robe). I’d placed some threads asking if others were interested in coming with us, as I’d prefer to travel on sand with two cars. Bboypebs (Adam) expressed some interest and managed to come out on the changed date of Easter Sunday. To put it simply, we had a ball!

p4040126.jpg

We “cut a lap” of Little Dip NP from Hermitage Rd up to the first camp site’s road, we ran into a surf competition where there were loads of 4wds coming in with only one single lane track to use. We shared a park space to let some cars through, Adam managed to get stuck, and I was no help as I’d been boxed in by him. Eventually a 4wd gently snatched him out:

p4040133.jpg

After this we headed into Robe, hit up Long Beach, found a dead seal :( When we finally got to the end of Long Beach we stopped for some lunch and thought about heading further north along the next beach:

p4040148.jpg

It was decided that we’d drop in on the beach below the surf comp in the Little Dip NP near where we started, but head south this time. So we took Twin Gum track back to the beach, we had to wait a little bit for a stuck 4wd to sort itself out - at one stage it wasn’t looking good as it was starting to slide down the side of a dune. They got out ok, told us it was pretty hairy ahead and that we’d probably not make it. We cruised up without a problem :D

p4040162.jpg

These are some of the “big boys” we found along the way. One’s bogged up to the rear axle, another sounded like it had a tractor’s engine under the bonnet:

p4040178.jpg

This is one of the rocky outcrops that are along the track:

p4040201.jpg

This beach was VERY soft - the ranger’s warning stated that the beaches were soft in condition but this one was noticeably softer than the rest earlier encountered. Adam’s brumby bogged down in a soft patch so a snatch was needed. At this point I was worried about getting the two subis bogged. I’d just passed two other 4bys that had bogged down, both got out in the end. Here’s the two subis getting ready for the snatch:

p4040204.jpg

From here we departed from the beach for a little bit before dropping back onto it at Stinky Bay. Here Adam was kind of running out of time so we thought we’d have a go at the next section then head off the sand for Adam to head home.

We found some dunes, then found out on the map that we weren’t allowed in there, even though the buggy club was nearby and the place was covered in their tracks:

p4040236.jpg

p4040234.jpg

Adam’s mighty Brumby. It did very well during the day, only stuck twice, once was ‘for real’. I think Adam was surprised too - he left way after the time he wanted to! By choice though:

p4040237.jpg

Ruby Scoo’s pic:

p4040238.jpg

What ended up happening was the two subis got us to Beachport just after dusk. It got a bit epic in the end as we couldn’t stop to have a look at interesting places, rather I jotted them down for the next trip :D - we were keen to see if we could make it all the way in half a day. We did pass another L series owner, stopped for a chat and found out you can camp on the beach...

Overall a full on day, but great fun! I’d like to thank Adam for joining Kez and I on the day as without him there I would not have attempted half the things on my own that we did! Cheers mate ;)

And here’s the ‘money shot’ of the trip: Long Beach, Robe:

p4040141.jpg

Cheers

Bennie

And here’s the ‘money shot’ of the trip: Long Beach, Robe:

p4040141.jpg

Great trip report El_Freddo :discomonkey: & top pics too.

Looks as though you had a great day.

That 'money shot' is worthy of a banner I'd have to say also. :)

elbanner.jpg

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks fellas!

Ruby Scoo got a full going over as soon as we got back to bendigo.

The sand flag was originally 4 metres - the minimum length of conduit I could get, but it was too high, so I cut it down to three metres :)

The used a decent flag - rather than those tiny little flags they use...

Mr Turbo - looks awesome as always!

Cheers

Bennie

Modern Australian 'Mounted Infantry' - a.k.a. Light Horse - tackling the dunes! :cool:

"I love the sound of flat engines in the morning" :discomonkey:

You'll have to come out next time Barry :D

Cheers

Bennie

Well then... HURRY UP! You've got til september ;)

Cheers

Bennie

One of a few videos of the trip. I'd probably rate this one as the best - Snatching Adam in the soft sands of Eddington's Beach:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-ySwfTVps[/ame]

:D

Cheers

Bennie

Back