Life In The Old Man Yet

I was going to sell my beloved Subee for a bigger unit, was thinking a D Max twin cab ute. After adding up the costs and the outlay and the repayments etc etc today i decided the Subee gets another 5 yrs to live again.

It has a lot of history this car, its the car the started ORS, its been all over the place in some very tough conditions, and is now a tow car for my old camper (also getting a facelift) and will run me out to the detecting sites, some of this terrain is pretty rugged.

So where to begin?
Last year i put a set of heavy duty springs on the old girl and now i will run it in for new struts (brand/make/type are open to suggestion)

A new set of rubber will go on after that, will give the Yokis a miss this time, i chewed the ATS set out faster than expected so i will look into whats about.

A full body overhaul/detail ding knock out etc and i may source a rear bar but thats way down my list, then onto the mechanicals, thinking thinking.

Most recent pic

subee.jpg

It has a lot of history this car, its the car the started ORS, its been all over the place in some very tough conditions, and is now a tow car for my old camper (also getting a facelift) and will run me out to the detecting sites, some of this terrain is pretty rugged.

The car that started it all getting a new lease on life.:cool:
Thats great to hear my04tone :woohoo:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Wait, that SG is what brought about the genesis of this forum? That's pretty cool, glad you intend to breath more life into her!

Great to hear from you, Tony! And good to know that you have decided to keep going with your MY04!

I dont think i will ever sell it now, i will still get a twin cab down the track but will keep this car until it rots.

It gets around some rough spots in the gold fields, tows my Jayswan Camper like its not even there. Had my doubts about the towing at first before we left last year but this thing comes up smelling of roses. Fuel consumption when towing at low as 10l/100k touring at 100kPH 13L in the hills and it went up to 18L/100K when i hit the big mallee dust storm the other week, my arms ached after that encounter, 7 hours in a dust storm with a ferociuos cross wind, the car never missed a beat.

Thinking of adding a snorkel as well as some sort of dual battery, my list is getting bigger so struts first.

With the camper upgrade and the car upgrade, i will be broke but comfortable :iconwink:
subzb.jpg

First quote for the struts:Lucas Automotive my usual mechanic
4x Genuine Subaru Struts installed inc wheel alignment etc $1075

Quote number 2: Pedders, just for the quote (wont use after the last time many years ago with another car)
4x Pedders struts inc Alignment etc $1220

Suspension guy needs to be in Melbourne Sth East if anyone has recommendations.

Tone. That car has barely been run in. Good move keeping it going. I would still have my SG if I hadn't bought the monster.

As for struts, go genuine I reckon. I have found them to be so much better than the KYB. The ride is smoother, cornering flatter, and they have a stronger casing which makes them less prone to bending. I have bent 2 sets of KYB in this vehicle.

I would consider a 1 inch lift from subtle if I were you. A lot of bang for buck and best done when you change the struts.

Hey Greg!!

yeah i though about taking it up and inch but still undecided. I am going to book in with Lucas as soon as i know what my work arrangements are next week and have a bit of a chat about a couple of mods. I know i have to do the belts next and there was a very minor leak in the head gasket which he wasnt 100% sure at the time if it was coming from there so when he has her up he can have a look, if so the bill for that and the belts will be 5k

I agree with Greg re the struts - the KYB are prone to bending because of a thinner body. The genuine / Tokio struts have not let me down (so far!)

Thanks Kev!
I will get Lucas to do them, he will only install Subaru OEM struts unless i ask otherwise, and he has never let me down with his work.
thanks
Tony

P.S even after 10years and some hard bash my original struts are still serviceable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok after some umming and ahhing and will i keep the car or get a campervan etc etc i gave the old boy a good clean today and i am ordering a new set of tyres, possibly tomorrow, and i am back to camping in my quick erect tent and will do the rear out with a new fridge etc and get some racks on the roof.

I spend alot of time in the bush these days, nearly every weekend, so i will go back to one of my old camping setups and for longer distance travelling i have my Jayswan Camper to tow around. I carry alot of shovels and detectors and all the gear so there's no room to just have a mattress in the back like i used to, and when i get to my camp i just want to be set up in minutes not hours.

Sheesh i hate deciding wether to keep a car or not, but my pocket will be alot of money better off keeping The Subee

Went to the exhaust place to get a rattle fixed after the tow bar boys had finished with it over a year ago :poke: , so that got that annoyance out of the way. While i was at it i got a quote for a 2.5" pipe from the cat back to my Magnaflow muffler cost $280.

Booked in for tyres at 1:30 and a wheel alignment, ordered ATS 215/60/R16 $205 a corner at Bob Jane Moorabbin.

Going to get a Subtle 1" kit sent over and then i will get the OEM struts done, it should go well with the heavy duty springs.

Started adding some LED internal lights, well i did one :lol: but have more coming from Hong Kong.

Getting the belts done soon, after i finish the suspension, and then will add a snorkel, roof racks, and maybe a rear bar. phew my wallet is crying already :shrug:

Am going to get stuck into some interior goodies for touring as well inc a new UHF.

Tyre are on, couldn't help myself 215/65/R16 so up we go a little, can feel the difference in the ride height straight away. I have had 65's on before so there's no dramas there.

Out with the old
pjls.jpg

In with the new
9te9.jpg

Nice and chunky
0oo0.jpg

:ebiggrin:

Mine seems to be here
2q24.jpg

the towbar guys have actually cut a semi circle out of the back of the tip but it didnt work, well it did for a while now its driving me nuts. I will get the 2.5" cat back pipe done.

Back