• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

ECB roo bar

Sigmund

Forum Member
During the last outback trip we barely kissed the ar*se of a juvenile roo and that did in the grill ($400) and turned down the bonnet lip (that'll stay as it is).

Just back from having an ECB bar fitted. $950 and that included trimming back some of the SubaXtreme sump guard to get clearance for the mounts.

Very happy with the fit and finish. Great service from Melbourne Towbars in Coburg North.

Pics from the website here: https://www.ecb.com.au/vehicle.php?...EARCH2.x=38&SEARCH2.y=12&SEARCH2=SEARCH#type7

Yeah I have that exact one! I'm very concerned about the small distance between the top bar and the bonnet. I mean the slightest traffic nudge and the bonnet gets wrecked!

I got mine as a light bar from a wrecker for $150. Either I'm going to cut it and reweld it sloping more forward or cut the top loop off so it's more nudge styled.

$950 - Yikes!

I got a good deal ;)

This is about the gap (10cm) distance on mine, which is WAY too small IMHO!

sl1kzk.jpg

My old 'L' series had about 60+ cm gap distance!

I would like to be able to withstand a heavy nudge and NOT have the bar bend back enough to contact the front body work.

And make room for bigger spots mounted behind the bar, not sticking out the front of it.

A work in progress..

Last edited:
Nice graphic.

Just measured mine. It's the same.

So you really got a bargain.

And the q. is how will the bar stand up to lightly kissing arses or worse?

The tube diameter is substantial but I don't know what the wall thickness is.

I opted for this unit just for a bit of insurance. I don't drive at night, dawn or dusk in the bush. I like the look of it and hate the look of wrap-around units and didn't want to shell out the bucks for one of those.

All a matter of trade-offs.

Where in the Flinders are you PigSti? We've been up that way several times towing the CT. The last time was hairy, doing Arkaroola to the Strez via the east side track. It'd just been opened to 4WD traffic after rain and we bellied out on a shoulder. A rare passing 4by pulled us out.

Mine is already bent back (roo), so I'm looking to straighten it out more. But Alu doesn't like any much bending either way so it will be a cut and shut at the weak point to restore the overall bar strength. This means that I can cut a bigger pie chunk out so that the bars leans well forward up to 60 cm away from the bonnet. Just pivot it forward 10º at the first bend from the main mount, easy to imagine it.

The bigger wrap around bar offers less protection because the mount points are the same but an impact anywhere on the bar then forces the whole bar back onto the total car front. One small nudge car destroy the whole front without damaging the roo bar itself, just crazy!

Be careful as small nudges can be expensive to the bodywork!

Well I can understand it.

Once had a cut and shut Camry Ultima V6 and for that reason got it at a bargain basement price. Lovely car; never let me down. (BTW, the RACV inspection didn't pick it up as a cut and shut. I now get the buyer to take their prospective sale down to my very reliable car mechanics for a proper check. They just charge me a slab for their Xmas party).

Unfortunately the ADR's were changed some years ago for pedestrian safety which requires all bars to be swept rearwards unlike the older bars that generally sloped forwards.

Unfortunately the ADR's were changed some years ago for pedestrian safety which requires all bars to be swept rearwards unlike the older bars that generally sloped forwards.

My other option is to sleeve the bottom tubes so the entire bar can be removed in seconds held on by lock pins. :iconwink:

Back