• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

MY09 XT Tyres

Rhino68

Forum Member
Hi, I currently own a NM Pajero and I’m contemplating getting the family into a MY09 XT Subie, but I also want descent tyres...something better suited for rough gravel roads. Looking at the specs for the XT, I would want to ditch the 17x7 rims for the 16x6.5 on the XS. I then can get something like the Dunlop AT3 or Yokohama A-T/S.
Has any tried or know if you can fit the 16 inch rim on the XT? Does the XT have bigger brakes and therefore requires 17s? :)

G'day Rhino68 & :welcome: to ORS.
As for whether 16's will fit over the brakes of 17's I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone should know.

Regards
Mr Turbo

On the MY09, the non-XT variants have 16 inch wheels standard. So should be fine.

Thanks for the replys....my assumption too. Is anyone running this sort of combination on their MY09?

Be curious to know how it also has effected the car handling. Getting the combination right can sometimes be a real balancing act...hence why there is some many conversions on the topic. :iconwink:

Wheels magazine were quite critical of the Forester's handling in 2008 Car of the Year (despite having said its handling was best in its class in a previous soft-roader comparison). One point that might be of interest though is that they did mention that the XT's Yokohama Geolandars on 17inch wheels were worse for wet grip than the lower model's Bridgestones on 16inch wheels.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels...9A6D1CA25756E00114717?open&template=domWheels

This probably just further supports the opinion of most people here that the OEM Geolandars are rubbish!

Last edited:
I think one of our club members is running 16s on an XT '09 - I will check. Are you sure a Foz is large enough? Welcome!

I think one of our club members is running 16s on an XT '09 - I will check. Are you sure a Foz is large enough? Welcome!

Thanks for chasing that up. Will a Foz be large enough, is a good question? Kids are out of the prams, so I hoping there will be less junk to cart around. How much smaller is the Foz cargo area to a Pajero? 50%?

Initial reply "At moment I have the 17" mags back on the car. I have BRIDGESTONE DUELLER A/T 693II 215/65/R16s on the steel rims."

So he's running the 16" steel rims OK.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty well sold on the capabilities of the Foz and with stronger tyres I don't think there are many place left you can't go!

Couple of final questions though...does the MY09 have a full spare? And can you get a metal skid plate (plastic plate is pretty useless....something I also replaced on the Pajero!) If anyone else has some advice on what to watch out for on a MY09, I'd also appreciate it. :)

Yes you can. I retain my stock 17" wheels and fit her with Geo A/T-S (225/60/17). I was so happy that yoko decided to produce this size that fits without downsizing to 16". IMHO our oem wheels are of good quality. Why ditch them?

Back