Unread 10th June 2018, 03:30 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Up North View Post
I'm a big fan of the chicken tracks, scenery is just as good but the pain is much less.

I did notice that some of the more "technical" tracks are buried in the forest, which means they can hardly offer anything over easy ones, other than the challenge itself. Hardcore offroading is usually all about the challenges and not really about seeing anything.

Here, without having, you know, done an actual study, it goes like this:
The rock crawlers. Lots of actual hardcore offroaders in this group, using all sorts of Wranglers and an assortment of extremely modified very old other vehicles. Probably all of these would be street illegal in Australia. They drive trails that are very short but that take forever because of hardcore obstacles. It is not uncommon that they carry all sorts of things, including a portable welder to fix crap on trail.

The "overlanders." There is no NEED to overland in the lower 48. One night camping forays have you covered everywhere from a settlement. It is in the overlander group that you find a lot of folks whose ratio of expenditure to utilization is very questionable. You see rock crawlers on parking lots and just as many on trails. But in over 200 trail runs, I have only seen a handful of overlanders on dirt.

The general purpose offroaders. These are the people you see most often on trail because these are the people who most often go out for the purpose of actually seeing places/hiking/kayaking/etc. They do not necessarily drive eye-popping vehicles. All sorts of Wranglers and pickups fit the bill, as well as a random assortment of old and new 4x4s and the wayward Subaru like mine was.

Hybrid: In the Southwest US, if you want to go everywhere, you do not need over-landing capability but you DO need to have a serious rock crawling 4x4 and this is easiest when using a Wrangler as your platform. I know folks who drive PLENTY of easy trails and enjoy the scenery and not just the challenge, but who also drive ALL the trails and don't mind giving an optional obstacle a shot.
Unread 10th June 2018, 08:15 PM
Forum Member

Personally, I would rather hike places like that; what I am trying to show below is what constitutes the pinnacle of rock-crawling style off-roading so you can see how different it is from Australian-style overlanding, which is closer to my liking, except for the excess mud part.

A very short example of trouble:

An extremely difficult inverted ledge, very short video:

And another Moab classic, very short video as well, shown is about the only way to go up that legde:

And it is not just Moab, one can argue that Central AZ is the toughest:

That is extreme but there is a reason the Outback completed 0 moderate trails around Phoenix vs. 4 in 3 weekends in the 4Runner.

Next is a great example of a rock crawling trail in Nevada, 1.5 miles long, easy hike, extreme drive:

This might be Colorado's most extreme trail:

And maybe the hardest California trail, to show something very different from the usual rock-crawling destinations:
Unread 12th June 2018, 09:45 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Legacy RS
Transmission: Manual
Bridgestone is on a distinguished road

Hi MiddleAgeSubie,

Thanks for sharing, those are fantastic videos!

Kind Regards,
The Bridgestone Team
Unread 13th June 2018, 10:59 PM
Forum Member

So, after watching all those films about 4wheeling Australia, I went to the magazine's 2013 UTE of the year competition, which confirmed my suspicions raised by my participation here and by the videos. I knew already that we are talking very different types of 4wheeling but the videos and the magazine brought the point home.

Capability means something very different in Australia than it does in the US: it is like endurance racing vs sprinting. Utterly different ball games.

Big payloads, big wheelbases, reliable, diesel, it all makes sense for the Australian conditions. But in terms of offroad metrics like clearance and traction, the only vehicle that caught my interest was the Isuzu D--Max. And even this one is very far behind a US equivalent like the Colorado ZR2 which comes not only with traction control, but also front and rear locker and great angles. Specifically, Australian requirements for minimum ground clearance seem pretty low with most vehicles around 8.5" and the VW even at 7.5". The Colorado that was part of the 2013 competition is not even a Z71 model. Trucks like that just lack the clearance to move at half decent pace on moderate 4x4 tracks in the US Southwest and in fact are rarely seen there.

Interestingly enough, for all that Cahill says, the D-Max traction control is mediocre. It works like VDC did on my Outback. Too much wheel spin is allowed. Press it hard, like on a slippery steep hill and he pulls the winch. The Toyota traction control I now have performs much better. By the way, the Prado Kakadu has a full inch less ground clearance than the 4Runner, with which its shares the frame, as well as slightly worse angles.

No wonder Wrangler is king in the US but rare in Australia.

Horses for courses. If I lived in Australia, I would probably like a 70-series Land Cruiser. I wonder how it is legal, though, it must be pretty outdated safety wise.
Unread 14th June 2018, 12:19 AM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

As long as it conforms to the safety regulations of the time of production, I don't think it matters what year it is to get it registered I believe.
I could be completely wrong though
Unread 14th June 2018, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

70 series are fantastic workhorses, there's 2 in my street and I love the sound of the V8 diesel as they come uphill; no issues re safety as now 5 star ANCAP:

https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-g...ies-now-5-star
Unread 14th June 2018, 01:57 AM
Forum Member

Well, that's great news.

I wonder what Toyota will do here: their full size trucks as well as the 4Runner and the GX Lexus are all due for replacement.
Unread 14th June 2018, 03:04 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

I did a bit of research into the 70 series. As it says in the article, the 5 star rating only applies to the single cab chassis. Secondly, it scores the less powerful, less torquey single turbo version of the V8 diesel. Thirdly, it's quite short geared apparently. So long distance touring isn't supposed to be in its forte. Finally, in addition to the short gearing it's supposed to have a pretty rough ride unladed and fairly crude overall. But bloody tough. And reliable. Just what you're average grazier, farmer and mining company are looking for.
Unread 14th June 2018, 03:17 AM
Forum Member

That sounds like a good analysis, Rally. I guess it would be a great platform for a dedicated rig but not good for a daily driver.
Unread 14th June 2018, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Only a single turbo V8 - what an embarrassment!

That's one more turbo than my old Range Rover V8!

Safety-wise the single cab has "Curtain shield and driver’s knee airbags" otherwise the other safety stuff is the same. The spec sheet is here: https://www.toyota.com.au/main/-/med...eet_151117.pdf