Dual-Range Flywheel/Clutch Issue?

The whine is very present in first gear only, both high and low. Sounds the loudest when decelerating. Whines a little under acceleration, but I'd say about 80% as much. VERY loud under deceleration, but as I said, only in first.

I remember now having a straight-sided spline type whine in the first gear of our old dual-range BG5 and it was like that from brand new. I remember worrying a lot about it during clutch replacement but I just let it go as I consulted 3 gearbox experts and they said there was nothing to worry about. 5 years after selling the car, out of randomness, I met the buyer at a port/pier and he said there were no major replacements with the car, just routine maintenance. Not sure how I can correlate that with yours.

Did you open the gearbox, by any chance, before installation?

[MENTION=866]Blue Fox[/MENTION], I also have a subtle whine in my DR SG Gearbox, has been like that since I bought the car, and the Previous owner was a Elderly couple, so I doubt the Dual range had ever been used previously, the Gearbox is about to hit 300K kms in the next 200km

Whiny low range is normal - as ABFoz says, it almost sounds like straight-cut gears.

I'm not sure why, as it appears to be helical.

Sometimes output shaft / transfer whine is perceived to be 'only in 1st gear', as it is linked to output/road speed, so you don't notice it as much in higher gears. Engine braking in higher gears is also less effective. Listen carefully.

[MENTION=866]Blue Fox[/MENTION], I also have a subtle whine in my DR SG Gearbox, has been like that since I bought the car, and the Previous owner was a Elderly couple, so I doubt the Dual range had ever been used previously, the Gearbox is about to hit 300K kms in the next 200km

You might be surprised to know that quite a few of the contributors on this forum who regularly take their cars through mud holes and up steep, rocky hills would fall into the category of elderly. :lol:

I wonder if I’ll still be doing that stuff when I fall into that category.

I think you meant 1.447:1

Yeah I did sorry, I usually deal with the 1.59:1 :poke:

As for the flywheel/clutch setup, it shouldn't really matter so long as the throw out bearing can activate the pressure plate.

For example, I've got a Gen1 flywheel, some excedy clutch and a phase two gearbox with phase two drive gears and EA centre diff/matching pinion shaft... The clutch works sweet.

I hope you get it sorted Blue Fox, it could just be the way the box is as others have mentioned. If you ever split it I do recommend a front LSD and auxiliary low range oil feeders to help keep that low range cool on long climbs ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Back