OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > General Forums > General Forum

Notices

User Tag List

Old 24th April 2017, 10:18 AM

darceyhs is on a distinguished road
Default Outback vs L series

Hello, I have been looking into Subarus for a while, and am interested in some opinions. In terms of general off-road ability, which would you say is better an outback or an L series? The car would be a manual and most likely have around a 2 inch lift and a sump guard. The outback would most likely be a 1st or 2nd gen rather than 3rd or 4th gen.

I assume that as the outbacks AWD system is the same as the liberties, which is mainly designed for on road, that the l series' 4wd system would be better. But please prove me wrong.

I have driven an 05 outback a bit and found it lacking in ground clearance (easily fixed), although very nice to drive

I am aware this is a fairly open question but would love to hear some opinions
Old 24th April 2017, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Kevin is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard. I had a 1st gen OB and my step-son had an L series. I would say that the L has better off-road ability. The OB does not have a good approach angle but does have more power, but more weight of course.

Maybe you should also consider an SF Forester?
Old 24th April 2017, 11:48 PM

Thanks very much for the reply Kevin.

Interesting about the approach angles with the Outback. I have considered the Foz and it is still an option, although I would prefer wagon due to the extra space. I do like the idea of the L-series even though the OB and Forester are much better on-road.

Is their a difference in drivetrain between the OB and Foz and L in terms of the slip in the differentials or are they much the same?

Thanks very much, interested to hear more opinions
Old 25th April 2017, 03:41 AM

Red XS is on a distinguished road

Both vehicles have their own pros and cons so comes down to what offroading you want to do.

OB and Foz have centre lsd's while L series has locked centre. Most of the models that you would be looking at don't have any front or rear lsd's or electronics so get diagonal wheel spin as soon as you lift opposite wheels. Most offroad situations you won't notice a difference between the awd and 4wd systems. Examples when you will notice are when front and rear wheels have very different levels in traction. If Foz or OB are bogged and you've only put maxtrax under front wheels the rears will spin for about a second before the front bite in and drive out. L series will drive out straight away.

Biggest pros for OB and Foz are they both come stock with larger tyres and more power.

Biggest pros of L series is it's lighter, comes standard with better low range and cheaper so you'll have more money left over to mod it.

I'd do OBFoz for boggy terrain and L for rocky terrain
Old 28th April 2017, 06:10 AM

El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Also remember that the L series is front wheel drive on road!

Comfort in all situations: foz or outback

Better power: foz or outback - especially if you've got an EJ25 with new HGs

Easier to lift: EJ series vehicles due to having the ability to do strut lift only without killing CVs

Best low range: L series

Easier to fix: L series (you'll get good at it with the EA82)

Best options: foz or outback

It all comes down to what your game plan is and how much time or money you want to put in it. These vehicles are Lego once you know what you're doing. Eg EJ engines can be fitted to the L series; the foot L series low range can be fitted to EJ gearboxes and EJ boxes can be fitted to the L series. In the US I've seen a guy fit an series box to a forester for the low range and centre engagement. Downer was 2wd inroad and taller gearing due to not being able to swap the diff ratio in the 2wd box.

For comfort and options the Outback or Forwster will be the better options. I don't know how ppl use AC in an L series as I never got mine hooked up, but I reckon it'd make a slow car even slower.

All that said, I love the size and shape of the L. The boot space is larger than a gen1 or 2 liberty/outback. But to get it where I want it I've "slightly" modified it - even then there are areas I want to work on...

Cheap libertys or outbacks are out there. I got a Gen3 outback for my sister for $550 with 330k on the clock and the need for a clutch. We did the HGs while the engine was out. It's been a gem and is great to cruise in over the L series. This one won't go offroad but it could be done with a full lift and outback/foz struts plus a decent box or modified box. Overhangs are the big issue for these vehicles but they don't stop many ppl.

Cheers

Bennie
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:32 AM

Very interesting to hear the advice and I thank all of you very much.

Yes one thing I don't love about the L series is the front wheel drive, although it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference.

I guess it really comes down to how I want to use it.

If it is used for more general duty and off road every now and then then I would say outback due to better cruising, power and fuel efficiency.

If I am going out the bush every weekend then L series is probably a better option as I will be able to more easily add lift etc. I also enjoy the looks of the L series.

The other option is the Foz which sort of is a midpoint. Although I am not in love with the shape or space in the back.

Thanks again. Darcey

Still interested to hear more opinions although looks like most of the facts are out.
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:13 AM

El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

L may be easier to lift but it's also very easy to underpowered it further with big tyre to get the true advantage of adding a lift kit

I don't know how anyone drove a 27 inch diametre tyre welding EA82 underpowered L series! But some have done it!

I too like the shape of the L series. Still can't go past them...

The underpowered issue and front wheel drive status can be changed with some research and elbow grease

Cheers

Bennie