Subaru Man

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
CVT
Hi all.

I came across the Irvin roobars yesterday. I wasn't looking for this but stumbled across it and thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts. It seems many think the Irvin bullbars are not the best looking and I think that many would see that the roobars are quirky at best.

But... they look like they would protect against kangaroo strikes and apparently you can remove and fit them much more easily than a bullbar. So, if someone didn't really want a bullbar maybe they could be a good option for a long off-road trip or similar? It looks they would reduce approach angle a little though.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to post images from company websites but there is a few pictures on www.irvinbullbars.com.au

Yes, I agree that they do not look real smart and they do reduce approach angle - but hey if they give you the protection you need at the right price then you could live with it I suppose.

i have one on my 06 H6

i got one on mine and love it . havent done any really off roading to talk about but it make s WA drivers thinking twice

you have to remember its there for a purpose . if you want pretty go by a 150k range rover .

Hi waynieRS. Yes, I agree re it being for a purposes etc. Your bullbar definitely looks like it will do the job!

Does anyone have the roobar, rather than the bullbar? The Irvin website states that the roobar is more for the "occasional country driver".

Has anyone got the roobar or thoughts about it one way or the other? See their website for pictures and description.

I'm not a fan of roobars, they reduce the approach angle by around 4", quite a bit! I also prefer the styling of bumper replacement bullbars, they just suit the car

havachat, I am glad you posted that link. I had seem this bar on their website and just thought it was a very bulky looking bullbar. I didn't realise it was an 'over-bumper style'. They say that the bottom section of the lower bumper clips off so maybe it therefore doesn't reduce approach angle and it may well increase it.

I think I will contact them just to get a bit more information. It's probably not the sort of thing that can be put on and off overly easily but maybe it's possible. I generally prefer the look without bullbars but do think it makes sense for a long trip in the country etc where kangaroos and the like are obviously an issue.

The SubaXtreme ones don't look too bad and I certainly think they look better than this one. I am going to contact them as well to see if the guards etc need to be cut to fit their bumper bar as I believe that is necessary for at least the earlier Forester models. Also, I think I read somewhere that the SubXtreme bumper bars may cover the indicators at least to some extent and from the photos that does seem to be the case. Not sure how they are allowed to do this but I guess they believe it meets the regulations. The newest Foresters have moved the indicators in so they aren't on the far side of the lights, so that might make it less of an issue assuming it is an issue in the first place.

Last edited:
Where necessary the SubaXtreme bars have additional indicators in the bar itself.

I forgot about the ECB over bumper bullbar. That might suit you very well. Would be good to see someone fit one, plenty of SubaXtreme bars around but I havent seen one of these yet. It's nice to see something different :)

So, I contacted SubaXtreme and yes there is a requirement to cut the bumper and they also said that indicators can be added to the bar if wished. As the latest model has had the indicators move to the other side of the headlights (from the outside to the inside) they said that they "lifted the side pipes to compensate for this".

I also contacted ECB and they provided some fitting and removal instructions with some photos matching up with the various steps as well. They said that the approach angle doesn't change.

I emailed them both and they got back to me the following morning.

Last edited:
Back