Garmin 62s

Gravel_Rocks

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester S
Transmission
Auto
When a riding buddy, who had never used a gps, took the bait and picked up a 62s, I realized it'd be on me to school him, no problem. After many miles using a trusted 60csx mounted on dirt bikes and enduro motorcycles, I relunctantly updated to the 62s. The new model is just different enough from the old 60 that it's been quite the learnin' curve for me too.
baldy.gif
One feature the newer unit has is to wirelessly share info between 62s'. So after manipulating tracks the nite before a ride, I can send all the days loop info to my buddys 62 in seconds before we leave out. Which is great because some folks won't screw with it but he'll still have all the info i have.
I'm far from a wiz at using all the bells and whistles either model offers.
My use consists of saving tracks and pois from rides and downloading to computer to refer to later and share. Also drawing tracks for a planned ride in Mapsource/BaseCamp, downloading them to the gps to use as a baseline route throughout a days ride. And the best part, downloading great(free) tracks from the 'net to use! Some of these these tracks are 1000's miles long routes that are typically at least 85% gravel/dirt. :monkeydance:
100_0080.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

There are plenty of reveiws out there already, so simply, the 62 is faster, has a better image and overall a better gps. But if you're coming from a 60, the 62 is a pita.
I'd consider myself quite the map-aholic and enjoy the navigating part of getting outside in new areas, but using the gps has all but retired the paper and the time consumed during the day by using printed maps. Rarely do I even carry one anymore unless it's a topo with lots of local pois.

Last edited:
Great report, GR.

Looks to do a bit more stuff than my basic Garmin ... :).

I've got an eTrek H that has no installable maps, just mono LCD! Get's you out but can't really plan anything on it.

Looking at getting a color eTrek 20 because I already have about $800 of Garmin maps, CN, Topo, marine, POI, etc

62SC is just too expensive and weighty for a bush walker.

Back