L series engine swap

raynman1989

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L series
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure similar topics have been covered before but not my exact situation so i figured I'd start my own thread.

I've got a 1990 l series 5spd with a ej22. Now the oil separator plate is leaking oil and either the head gaskets need doing or the heads are stuffed. While I've got the engine out i was thinking or putting something better in but I just can't decide because there's a fair few options.

1. Keep the ej22
2. Ej22/ej25 frankenmotor
3. Ej25
4. Ej20t
5 Ej257

Anyone got any thoughts? Or know what would be involved?

There's a few things to keep in mind. All swaps will require an adapter plate for the gearbox.

The non turbo ej engines are all similar difficulty to swap. The Ej22 is getting old and most will be higher mileage. The ej25 is also more powerful.

Turbo engines will require a turbo crossmember to allow the different exhaust manifold to fit. Besides this, the swap arguably isn't much more difficult as you still have to splice the wiring etc. However if swapping a turbo engine you probably also want to swap an awd ej tranny in, as fwd with a turbo ej would be very easy to spin the wheels.

Well I've already got an adapter plate so that's not a problem. Tbh I'm definitely leaning towards just fixing the current ej22 since it will be so much easier but I know I'll get bored of the power pretty quick haha.

Would and ej25 be a worthwhile swap?

Also the more involved the swap is the less likely I will be to do it but I'm still not ruling out and options.

Although traction will still be an issue I've got a 2" lift and I will fit the biggest off road tires possible so that should help.

Drop a SC14 off the side of the ej22. It's been documented with good results on Ausubaru.

Any engine swap is most likely going to involve a wiring loom swap to ensure the engine will be managed properly.

If you're going a turbo (sweet!) it becomes a bit more involved - engine cross member, exhaust, intercooling mounting, and depending on the model turbo engine you use will depend on what's required/done with the wiring loom - the security system becomes difficult to get around if you don't hae all the bits that talk to each other.

Ej22 is bullet proof. And if you've got the Gen1 ej22 they're non-interference ;)

They're worth hanging onto and rebuilding if need be. A set of mild cams should perk it up as well.

I'd definitely drop a 2L foz box in for AWD goodness. It gives your L series a firm standing on the road and they handle well in all conditions within reason ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Ahh now there's an idea! I'll keep an eye out for an sc14, they seem pretty rare though.

How would the motor handle the boost? Would you recommend a rebuild before installing a supercharger? It's a phase 1 and it's done nearly 200,000.

What would be involved in fitting a different gearbox?

7 psi and an intercooler should be fine. You could rebuild it if you wanted.

The gearbox:
- L series MPFI front shafts to match the EJ diff stub size (or split box and swap stubs - if you do this fit a speedo drive with one less tooth on the drive gear as this will match it to the L series speedo - it did for me anyway)
- custom cross member
- linkages may need to be modified
- custom tail shaft front piece or a mix and match of some combination of factory Subaru tail shafts. I'm not even sure if the factory EJ unit will be a direct fit. But I do know the L series shaft is too short.

I *think* that's about it other than the factory EJ flywheel/clutch/throw out bearing and clutch fork combo ;)

My box is a little different in that it's essentially an L series box so not so many mods to fit it - I'm writing this from memory of what I've read from posts of others over the years (and from the differences between the ea and EJ AWD boxes that I know of.)

Cheers

Bennie

Back