Steelies for SG Series Forester?

Rambler

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester X
Transmission
5MT
I've been investigating what *cheap* steel wheel options I have for my Forester as my stock steelies are rusted and pitted and they don't come up often. Also I'd prefer something black. I'm hoping to get a set of 4 wheels for under $200, hopefully with some roadworthy tyres thrown in. Anyone tried anything and want to add to the list?

Size is 16x6.5", offset +48mm, bolt pattern is 5x114

It looks like some of the late model stock Camry 16" steelies are the same size, bolt pattern, and similar offset. Even same tyre size as stock Forester. I also came a cross a set of Mazda steelies that might be the same, and I think some stock Lancer 16" steelies. Are these alright for offroad and would these actually work? Is there something I'm missing?

Anyone got anything else they've tried?

Are you sure about the bolt pattern - it is usually 5 x 100?

again - why steelies?

Just saw a set of 16" GT Foz wheels go for $100 on ebay.

Ya you're right it's actually 5x100. Those other steelies wont fit in that case. Pretty much limited to Subaru wheels only I think.

I'm not really into any of the OEM 16" alloys and like steel rims for offroad use. There's a few Foresters running the Unique 83 steelies in the US which look great, but we can't get them in Aus so I was hoping for a cheap alternative. Best option might just be to powder coat the factory steelies.

If you want steelies you can pick up a set for $50 or less! You can paint them or get them powdercoated.

Remember wheel/tyre weight will affect acceleration, braking & fuel economy. You can get alloys powdercoated too

Good point re performance. Downsides of heavier wheels probably outweigh any advantages. I reckon I might keep an eye on Gumtree for some H6 Outback 16" alloys, I like those and might be able to pick some up cheap with tyres if I'm lucky. Ta!

people sell off the SG 16" steelie spare wheel , usually with a brand new (albeit out of date) for $50 each.

Yeah I saw a set for $70 with roadworthy tyres but they were sold before I could pick them up! They come up very cheap from time to time. I was mainly looking for a non silver alternative.

I think I've found a set of H6 alloy wheels for not much more so I'm happy. I might paint or powdercoat them eventually.

Back