Lifted Gen 1 GT Legacy

G'day All, just joined the site and have been modding Subarus for many years.
I have had this car for nearly 2 years. Purchased with a blown engine and rough paintwork but otherwise original it was a bargain for $1000. I drove it standard for a while but in August 2012 I added the lift etc to make it more practical. It has recently undergone a Gearbox swap to dual range with 1.44:1 reduction from a Forester. Added to this was a DCCD rear housing and associated electronics to lock up the centre. I believe this makes for the most versatile Subaru gearbox. Currently has 16 inch forester rims, Outback struts with raised King springs etc so is very versatile off road while still being civilised on road.

IMAG04021.jpg

A Centre console from an Auto model with the Auto Manual switch removed allows the DCCD dial to be fitted in a factory looking location.
efec65bb-221b-4688-b874-e84ddfedec41.jpg

Modified L series rear tyre carrier with Outback towbar fitted behind bumper skin allows for high mount of tow bar tongue.
IMAG04041.jpg

Engine Bay. Std apart from external coils, resonator delete and VF28 sti turbo. Exhaust is 3 inch straight through.
IMAG04051.jpg

Front on, Subaextreme bar thanks to Subaman. One of only 4 made apparently.
IMAG04031.jpg

As the paintwork is very rough I plan to re shell this soon into an immaculate silver shell I picked up for $250. This will also sort the cracked windscreen and faulty rear defrost. At the same time I also have a perfect dark grey shell and a written off RS Turbo that will be merged so I have one low and one high for all occasions. I really like these early liberties, much more so than the newer ones.
The setup is working very well, most recently towing a loaded tandem trailer full of firewood out of the bush at home. Next step is to replace the tyres with a new set of BFG at's.

:welcome: Awesome, your car sure looks trail-ready!

Welcome mate!
Known you fom Ausubaru. .. asked for some pics of you wheel carrier from youe gen 3 outback H6 that was running the same gear.

How does the ej207 compare to the 3.0l?

Gt Legacy

I prefer the turbo motor to the H6, has more power and the option to up that power easily. H6 is nice and smooth but I will stick with turbo's now.

love what you've done here.

I've almost arrived at the same point, but from the opposite direction; just completing a '99 JDM TT engine into Gen3 (A-C) Outback swap.

I kept the std manual dual range box and am running standard height, as I don't do anything too serious off road. Am thinking of picking up a second set of wheels with more serious tyres for when I do.

The TT torque above 2k is some kind of awesome.

completion.jpg

Swap was pretty straightforward - details here

Last edited:
Both very nice! :lildevil:

legacytt, nice to see another offroad gearbox. DCCD, 1.447:1 LR both big improvements. What front diff does it have?

Legacy

Suspension is using KYB struts from a Gen 2 Outback along with HD king springs. Lift kit is 3 inch all round. Car still going well, about to fit a snorkel after a very close call through deep water recently.

Back