• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Key Stuck in ignition of 2004 OBW

adkmtnoffrd

Forum Member
Hey guys, I can't be the only one whose ride wont give the key back. The steering will not lock and the key will not turn to the lock position. Running through the gears, running or not has made no difference. In fact Ive tried everything this side of dismantling including tweaking the cables around the steering column. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading.

That's bad luck. I'm sure I've heard of this before but can't recall the details. Try searching over at subaruforester.org as well.

I had this happen on my '98 Liberty (Legacy) and after a few minutes of simultaneously wiggling the steering wheel and key, it all unlocked.

Good luck.

Any luck getting your key out?

The first day we got RonnyRoo (SH series - laser cut key), SWMBO stuck the key from Roo2 (SG series, "conventional" key) into the ignition lock.
It stuck fast; so we appreciate your problem from first-hand experience ... :(.

I managed to get it out with a combination of lock lubricant and brute force with some big needle nose pliers applied to the shaft of the key (not the plastic bit with the immobiliser in it).

Flaming near did it myself the next day!

Hope you have managed to get yours out.

Some powdered graphite squirted into the lock might help in preventing it happening again. Do NOT use any kind of lubricant such as CRC, RP77, mineral oil. They all cause dust to accumulate in the lock, and this eventually causes excessive wear of both the key and the lock itself.

Well, I at least know where the key is. Stuck in the ignition. Problem is I cant get the ignition to turn back to the lock position to remove the key, no matter what.

This might sound a little stupid, but may be worth a try if you haven't all ready.

Have you tried pushing the key in & turning it at the same time.

However, you've probably tried this though.

Regards
Mr Turbo

The steering lock will not lock until it is in the off position and the key is extracted. Once you extract the key, your steering lock will work again.

There could be a square small solenoid on the neck of the ignition either top bottom or side that is usually held in by 2 small phillips head screws. Remove that (it is probably spring loaded).. this could be faulty (more than likely). Once that is removed, as long as the discs in your ignition are not damaged, the key should come out... Dunno if it will help, but good luck :)

With dogs, a bucket of water usually solves the problem ... :iconwink:

Not sure that it would work with car keys though :rotfl:.

Sorry mate. That's a real bugger.

At least your key will start your car. When we got the (conventional) key for Roo2 (SG) stuck in the key way of RonnyRoo (SH; laser-cut key), it wouldn't even do that! Couldn't even lock the car, because it won't allow itself to be locked if any key is in the ignition!!

Fortunately I was able to remove it without damaging the lock or the key.

Good luck with your problem.

Man, its a good thing I speak Aussie. LMFAO! If it was my Harley-Davidson the key was stuck in, I'd be less amused, but I can lock the car, so Im not too jacked up about it. Im going to upgrade this week by purchasing a 2010 OBW, so the key can be someone elses problem.

I guess it "short circuits" the dogs too ... :lol:.

But trading your '04 in will solve that problem, along with a number of others, maybe?

That's how we solved the problems with our Camry (replaced with RonnyRoo); and the potential problem/s with Roo1 (replaced with Roo2).

Sometimes it is possible to run away from problems; but it's rare, IME.

Hi adkmtnoffrd,

Just wondering if you tried the solenoid tip that I posted back in September? Would be interested if you have & it didn't work, I can probably find you some more info :)

Kind regards,

Back