lefty

Forum Member
Car Year
MY05
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
XT lux manual
Thought about making milk crate tracks but I have access to bread crates so made my own "Tiptoptrax". The crate is smooth on the inside face , so I cut 1 crate in half and ziptied the 2 smooth halves together so the crunchy bits are on the outside for grip.
Good on you mum

54729332_10157300889788756_4962375338005889024_o.jpg
54520537_10157300889448756_7462058115437953024_n.jpg
53709516_10157301274913756_7548548740915658752_n.jpg

I think they just cost a lot of bread! :ebiggrin:

would be good to put all DIY and similar recovery tracks that can be bought cut made cheap in one thread

I made some MilkTrax a few years ago. They worked ok in light situations but are not very strong & crack easily if the ground isn't flat

They also need to be doubled up to eliminate the smooth side, which will just slide on the ground or flipped over, the tyre won't grip on them

You can get FRP plastic grating used for walkways, this stuff is very strong & won't crack
https://gratingfrpaustralia.com.au/

They even caught on to people using them as recovery tyracks!!
https://gratingfrpaustralia.com.au/4wd-non-slip-mats/

In the end I just got some commercial ones, they are so cheap now & keep getting cheaper:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Pai...ory-Offroad-/231846086539?hash=item35fb1a878b

Attachments

• MilkTrax 01.jpg
    MilkTrax 01.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 9
so similar to my garden style recovery tracks . they can help too very light and strong enough but not super strong ones. i got myself now old style , even WW time old times style recovery tracks from scrap yard
jyMyKE9l.jpg

and my garden style 3 euro for peace where those. from one peace i made 2 recovery tracks so its very very cheap
JFVE38vl.jpg

havachat - I asked the shopkeeper he was glad for someone to reduce the mountain of crates piling up outside his store.
considered the walkway grating but for the price of them might as well get proper tracks.
scalma - your metal ones look tough but I'm guessing they are very heavy.

This WW2 metal tracks are known as Marsden or Marsen matting. Not entirely sure on the spelling. This stuff is heavy AF. Dad’s got some that he dug up from some place covered in it in the territory.

These mat pieces link together. Apparently they used to land aircraft on them as a temporary landing strip. I know they were definitely used as taxi ways and aircraft parking surfaces.

I’m not so sure they they’re still used by the millitary today. Still a cool piece of kit and I’d definitly have a few pieces if I drove a unimog!

Cheers

Bennie

those 2 peaces where like 18 kg . and they make them like this from aluminum now so those lighter. but my point was find those and find them cheap and i did. i payed for those 2 like 6 euros.
and they called Marston Mat from WW2 where they where used to make planes landing lanes or just to make tracks for cars and such
HLR87099-2.jpg

and people all over world still using them as fences or other things. i think i saw those on some villages here used as fences too
Marsden-mats.jpg

and these days we have expensive like $200 cost aluminum replicas
Off-Road-Sand-Ladders-4x4-Recovery-Aluminum.jpg_350x350.jpg

back on cheap diy stuff i was thinking for long time that its easy to make recovery track from those plastic palets like those
cpp-113_1.jpg

just cut top part and you got strong plastic pad , and they cheap like one could cost some 10-20 euros here , but you could make 2-3 tracks from one pallet.

Those plastic pallets are too soft.

I had the same idea - we have plenty here at work - but once you've hit one with a saw, you'll see how weak they really are.

be careful with the bread trays -- the 'police' section of my local rag has a story about a bloke getting busted for stealing a stack of them.

Back