LED Lightbar - WOW !!!

sammo

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
XV Crosstrek
Transmission
Manual
I have just installed a 32 inch Stedi 60 led lightbar on my Crosstrek, as I do a lot of night driving on country roads.
The improvement is amazing.

.......LOW BEAM..................HIGH BEAM...................LIGHTBAR..........

I ordered and received one on Friday however the packaging was badly damaged and partially repaired by Auspost, however looks like the mounting hardware fell out. I tested the light bar and fortunately it is not damaged and appears to work just fine but you can tell by the condition of the contents that this package has had a really rough time!

.......LOW BEAM..................HIGH BEAM...................LIGHTBAR..........

Very cool, Sammo! :cool:

Was just thinking that it was time for me to get an LED lightbar and/or spotties. After all, it's the 21st century now. ;)

Any thoughts on bumper mounted, like you did, versus up on the roof (rack)?

Over here it is illegal to use roof mounted lights on public roads so will get more use mounted on the bumper. In fact I believe it's illegal to use any lights mounted higher than the headlights on public roads. I've seen many 4WDs here with the lightbar mounted on top of the bull bar.

Over here it is illegal to use roof mounted lights on public roads so will get more use mounted on the bumper. In fact I believe it's illegal to use any lights mounted higher than the headlights on public roads. I've seen many 4WDs here with the lightbar mounted on top of the bull bar.

In QLD:

-Driving lamps may be fitted above the roof line. The
driving lamps must be fitted to the front half of the
vehicle, when measured from the front to the
rearmost point of the vehicle.

-Driving lamp/s must not be in the driver’s line of sight
and must be installed in a way that the light produced
does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort
from glare either directly or by reflection.

Source: (Vehicle Standards Instruction (Light 15.3) )

^ that's interesting! I don't agree to their use on-road because of how often I encounter people who do not dim their lights on approach. I guess once I have my lightbar installed I will be "armed" against such offenders :)

People were getting fined for having roof lights a couple of years ago.

Found this as well from Aug 2015:

ADR 13 has been amended to remove the requirement to fit additional headlights in pairs provided the lights:
• Do not exceed four
• Are used in conjunction with headlamps
• Are fitted symmetrically about the longitudinal centreline of the vehicle
• Face towards the front of the vehicle

I think there might be some people who do not dim their lights as early when using lightbars as the sheer amount of light output makes it difficult to notice the road being lit by lights coming from the other direction, so they only dim when they actually see the other car.

Another factor could be that because the lights are above the driver's eye level, that the light is shining over a crest before the driver sees an oncoming vehicle's lights.

Not an excuse, but possible reasons for why there may be increased instances of people seeming inconsiderate.

I decided to move my lightbar lower and I really like the new look.
lightbar_low2_zpsa29aflfj.jpg

I've got my bar on now and it's awesome!

You'll find a problem mounting it down low in that it will throw shadows; I had this problem when I mounting driving lights in that position on my Outback.

I don't agree to their use on-road because of how often I encounter people who do not dim their lights on approach.

There is a story of a guy up around Gympie way that used to play with semi trailers, he would goad them into using their spotlights to get him to dim his lights, then he would hit them with an array of 240v spotlights that he had running off a generator in a trailer he was towing.

One smart trucky who got caught up in his game was ready for him, as they passed in the opposite direction the trucky let fly with a handful of ball bearings, he rang the cops and told them where to find the guy and his trailer in the ditch on the side of the road.

Thats some dangerous games. Worse thing for me on road is to be blinded from other cars lights. That moment you get so bad feeling of bad accident that could happen because of that. Worse thing ever is raining at night and you driving on 2 lane road with non stop in front driving cars.

[MENTION=124]subyroo[/MENTION]

So it ended in a well deserved "balls-up" :lol:

My light bar is like a small nuclear device, and only draws 9.5 amps ...
Pretty much totally off topic, but I reckon my Lightforce Blitz drawing about 8.3 amps would blow your lightbar away. Better colour temperature too.

Quality not quantity for lights I reckon.
:catfight:
Light Wars! Yay!
:D

Ben, I find that reflections can be a killer after about 500+m, even just from the scrub.

With the standard lights properly adjusted, plus the 36(?) Cree leds in the lightbar, I can see anything within that range. Easily enough to come to a screaming halt if needs be. The huge angle of the light bar is a big plus.

In my extreme youth, I used to use 100W light aircraft landing lights. Even with a really heavy duty 68 AH battery, they drained it pretty quickly with only a 22A generator pumping it up. I'm talking about the late 1960s ... They reached out about a mile (1.6 kms), but almost no side lighting - so important for roos!

Back