• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

4wd switch mod for 4eat forester

Hello to All!
This is my first post here. But I'm regular reader since my join date.
I'm from Ukraine and my native language is Russian. So excuse me for my bad English.

I've made little research about this thread and want to share.

Using OBD-cable and ecuExplorer i've wrote the logs of TCU standing still with the engine switched off.
a9acbe8s-960.jpg

Then the logs were processed in MS Excell. The chart below was received as a result.

4b6cbe8s-960.jpg

My conclusions:

1. Yes indeed, in the "1" interaxle clutch gets more "preload" compared to the rest of the positions of the selector. The graph shows that all the lines were merged into one except "Transfer Duty Ratio (%) 1", which is much earlier and sharper aim "up" meaning a higher degree of coupling block.
2. Somewhere about seen that the maximum power occurs at block 75% throttle opening. But based on the resulting chart, this value is 60% for the "2", "3", "D", "R" and 37% for "1".
3. And of course as a lock-up clutch for speed and slippage my small study did not show.

And note please that this is true for Subaru which is manufactured for Europe market.

Please If you have any questions or remarks post me.

I've wrote this article in my journal in one social network for car owners.
You can read it using google translate
When you're full, four-wheel drive A-AWD?

This automatic translator may be is even better then my English...

Last edited:
G'day valfom & :welcome: to ORS.

That is some fantastic info you've posted there :)

Well done mate :biggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Am i the only one really confused haha. I have read countless threads and all have different info. Is there a step by step guide anywhere rather than how it works and how to improve it? I was reading on one particular forum that you can just cut and add any switch in to the appropriate wire and it will work. I am in a 03 n/a forester. Only be used in snow/mud and gravel conditions where needed

Guys,

Just learnt the very hard way...in the late 2005 - 2008 models do not have the solenoid Engaged for any length of time. You run the risk of burning out the solenoid resulting in no drive to the rear

Thanks for the warning - I only use it in short bursts

I now have a 4eat 2007 forester xt, anyone know pin position and resistance it needs to see?

I have been told about 9 different things

I wired to green w/ white stripe and ran a dummy to 4.5 ohms (what the tcu pinsouts i read say) but just got told you need to run 12v and 18/20ohms... what the heck?

Looking for something a little more advanced to allow varied lookup. Anyone have an idea if something like this would work. PWM sounds like how the factory system varies the lookup, so using this to vary the lookup should almost be a straight plug and play shouldn't it? Keeping in mind I'm no electronic genius but the theory sounds plausible.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-8a-dimmer-motor-speed-controller/p/MP3209

Newbie here

Guys,

Just learnt the very hard way...in the late 2005 - 2008 models do not have the solenoid Engaged for any length of time. You run the risk of burning out the solenoid resulting in no drive to the rear

So will this work on 08 in short periods (how short)? or is there an other way around this and i just haven't come across the thread?

thanks
Miles

G'day & Welcome Miles - sorry but I can't advise you as I have MY'03. Even so, I never leave it switched on for long as the resistors can get quite warm.

So will this work on 08 in short periods (how short)

08 SG Forester yes it works if it's a MPT auto, but not a 08 SH Foz. If it's a VTD needs to be done slightly differently

Fandizzle is good to ask about this. Be patient for a reply, he's often away for extended periods

NachaLuva

First off thanks for the help....

Not sure what MPT auto, 08 SH Foz or VTD are. can I find it out with the vin#?
Can you guide me in the right direction and how do find out what I have out of these three? I know I have a FHI Full-time AWD 4EAT tranny if that helps.

I used to working on jeeps! I'm sure I search but I have you on the line.

Hey NachaLuva

I’ve answered my own question, with a little research. I have a MPT auto. but would like to chat with Fandizzle, so I will wait

But what is this all about?
SUBIELIFTOZ, QUALITY LIFT KITS FOR SUBARUS
1" & 2" lift kits; custom lift kits; all models

I'm Building a trail/camping rig and I’m looking to put a 2in lift to help me out climbing through the mountains. I’m in need of some gulidness.

We get used to using all the acronyms lol
SG Forester is your model of Forester from 03-08
SF is the model before 97-02
SH 09-13 & SJ 14> are the models after yours

Foz is just a nickname for Forester, like Leggy is short for Legacy & Lib is short for Liberty (what the Legacy is called in Australia)

You've found MPT (Multi Plate Transfer) & VTD (Variable Torque Distribution) are the 2 types of auto, plus there's CVT in later models.

VCD (Vehicle Dynamics Control) is the Subaru stabilty control system

XMode is available on some later CVT models. It's an upgraded version of VDC, very very good for slippery offroad or steep downhill conditions

SubieLiftOz is my lift kit business, specializing in just Subarus. Feel free to shoot me a PM, I can definitely help you lift your Foz :)

Hi all. I can't seem to find anything on how I can do the center lock mod to my car. I have a 2004 forester xt auto. 2 things I need to know. What pin / wire on what connector for the tcm I can't narrow it down 🙄 second. I stumbled across some info that made me doubt myself. For this year model I read somthing saying that to lock it instead of taking power away from the solenoid you have to add power to lock everything up. Is this correct? If so can I just wire up any 12v source into the wire via a switch to have to lock up?

I would like to know as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Back