'04 FXT vs '04 Outback LL Bean for best offroad vehicle

koretex

Forum Member
So as the title states, which one would be best? I already own a '04 FXT w/4eat and am about to trade in my Tahoe on a '04 Outback LL Bean w/ the 3.0 & VDC. I will be turning one into the offroad/camping/family adventure vehicle, but I'm not sure which one.

I won't be going crazy on the mods, in fact I would do identical mods to both basically...

FXT
power = exhaust and stage2 tune
suspension = KYB struts, king/ironman springs, 1" strut lift
tires = A/T or Mud tires on 15" rims
accessories = all the normal stuff like brushguard, lights, 8k lb winch, roof basket, etc.

Outback
same as above, minus the power mods of course

So my question to all you guys that are way more knowledgable than me is which platform would be better to do this to?

I'm pretty sure the Outback has longer overhang and worst approach/departure angles...

Gidday KT

I agree with Taz & Mr T. The Fox has got far better off-road capability than the OB - specially standard.

Another strategy might be to make your own two car convoy on the occasions that it's necessary, then use the Forester for the daily exploring/touring stuff.

Even with his SubaXtreme front bar and lift, Barry's OB is only just coming close to the approach angles of the Fox, and the departure angle is nowhere close ... The 'hang' angle in the middle is also a bit problematic for the OB.

^ Although that's true Ratbag it depends what your doing with the car. Plus some people need the larger inside of the OB compared to the Foz. For me my Foz is the perfect size for my needs :)

Gidday Taz

^ I agree. We all have different needs and wants, and great that there is so much choice for us all - regardless of whether it's a car, or a fridge ... :iconwink:

By "brushguard" do you mean sump guard/bash plate? To protect the sump...

It should be your first mod...

Glad your joining the Fozzy club lol :iconwink:

By "brushguard" do you mean sump guard/bash plate? To protect the sump...

It should be your first mod...

Glad your joining the Fozzy club lol :iconwink:

A sump guard aka skid plate was my first mod, well along with 215/70/17 General Grabber AT2's.

By brushguard I mean a Bull Guard, Push Bar, Grill Guard...a bar to protect the grille and place some lights and a winch on :)

Back