'99 Outback

Levy

Forum Member
Hi guys, have settled on getting an outback, was thinking late 90's model, saw this one. It's on the sunny coast, my folks live just up the road. Dad's gonna go check it out for me on the weekend. Just wondering if there's anything in particular he should be looking at/for with this model. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers!

https://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=10360991&__Qpb=true&Cr=9&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=wagon&__N=834%201216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963801%201562%20900%20443&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&PriceTo=443&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=33&__sid=12E7CF98A861

Heard they can have headgasket issues..?

Nice lookin outback buddy. I have a '99 forester which is virtually the same setup. 157,000 miles later & no head gaskett issues. Just stay ontop of your general maintenance and should be alright. Not sure if you guys have carfax there, but if you do, they are well worth the money to get as i have found out!

'99 may be just before the head gasket issues surfaced. Take a torch and look for cylinder head leaks especially LH rear side of engine. Slight seeping is OK but if real messy then give it a miss.

Well, dad checked it out, runs well but has pretty shabby interior. Flying down tues, will check a few out while i'm down there. Will be driving one home for sure.

Last edited:
Bought this today! $5600.. interior isn't as bad as first thought. Seems to drive well, but front steering seems to shudder a bit, thinking bearings; though has just had it's steering bar replaced and seller said the mechanic said a wheel alignment would correct it? Also has a slight knock in the back cv joint and a headlight out, aside from those issues, seems sweet!

Last edited:
Hi Levy, welcome to ORS. It would be mutually benefiicial if you put your location in your profile. Sometimes when there is only time to flick through posts, you miss things you might otherwise pick up. One thing I missed is that it is a Queensland car. Beware all second hand Queensland cars for a while- Victorian and northern NSW ones too for that matter. I assume you are in Queensland so you may have already factored this in.

I'm from Townsville, but bought her on the sunny coast. Took her for a big drive today, hit 140 no dramas, engine purrs. Don't think there's any dramas with the bearings, only shudders a bit when breaking from higher speeds. Back cv's might need looking at as there's a bit of a 'dunk' sound there when reversing. I think if I give her a good service overall she'll be sweet!

Back