Converting from self leveling 08 Outback

peteretep

New User
Car Year
Car Model
Outback 3.0R
Transmission
Auto
Hi guys, I have just bought a 2008 3.0R outback and want to do a suspension lift on it with some king springs and also replace all of the struts with non self leveling type as I have self leveling rear suspension currently. The king springs website says that if I am converting from self leveling I should buy a specific KYB shock and use a different king spring, but I cant see why, and the part number seems to be obscure and hard to get except in eastern europe. The parts I want to buy for the rear are the KYB 341443 and use a king spring KSRR-29 and I will also get new strut tops as I have read that the self leveling springs have smaller top diameters. Can anyone tell me why this wont work?

So end result would be Front, KYB 339098 & 339099 struts, KSFR-51SP front springs, new strut tops. And rear, KYB 341443, KSRR-29 rear springs and new strut tops. And new bellows all around

I am looking for around a 1 inch lift

sound good?

Hey there [MENTION=16114]peteretep[/MENTION], welcome on board.

The both shocks have improved rebound and compression over stock but the 341354 has higher rates than 341443. I think KYB tested the raised springs with 341354 in their lab and it is able to compensate better with the lift. Cheers.

G'day & Welcome from across the ditch Peter!

Kings for the rear look like they should be KSRR-29SPC; also "USE KYB 341354 WHEN CONVERTING FROM SELF LEVEL TO NON SELF LEVEL TYPE SHOCK ABSORBERS"

"Maybe" the difference is so you can re-use the self-leveling top hats?

After some advice on another forum, those parts should fit with the top hats, so I have ordered them. Now I am having trouble getting rear springs in NZ though! Will see what I can do, worst case I have to order some from Australia

Now to find some sweet rims and get some geolandars

If you order from OZ, it will be around half the price vs the ones from most retailers here.

Since you have SLS in the rear, do you have the L.L. Bean?

I have ordered my stuff from rockauto, at way cheaper than NZ or australia. But the springs seem to be cheaper in NZ from supercheap auto

I dont think i have the LL bean version

if you after a lift kit try subieOzlift with matt chaplin ... he is on this page .. i have his lift kit on my 06H6

Last edited by a moderator:
In NZ any lift kits require a certification, which is a government check. Springs dont require a cert, so thats why I have chosen that option

Back