Vert

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester x
Transmission
Auto
Hey all,
Since my last trip I noticed more that the rear on my SG was sitting quite low.

Anyone have any figures of what it should be.

My figures are from ground to top of wheel arch.
Any better ways to measure eg sil clearance let me know.

36psi in tyres. Subie unloaded.

Front P/755 D/750
Rear P/710 D/725

Cheers for any thoughts. Not sure if they are those self leveling struts or not yet.

Gidday Vert

Standard measurement protocol is from the centre of the hub to the top of the wheel arch.

You can easily tell if your car has SLS. If it has, it will have a canister on the front of the rear struts.

Mine were rooted (like a good tree ... :rotfl: ), and I replaced them with Pedders variable rate kits (complete strut assemblies). I couldn't be happier. Better ride and handling, and better when towing my CT.

My experiences documented here:

https://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=5435

Standard specs here:

https://offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=73987&postcount=19

^ BTW, my rears are both 745mm measured from ground to top centre of wheel arch, on the centre line of the hub.

All right will remeasure to keep to a standard. :)

Ok rear about D/ 410 P/ 400

may have about 20 kg in boot. Forgot I had some gear hiding lol

They are rooted, Vert.

Mine has about 40 kgs of crap sitting on the back floor ...

IIRC, OEM standard height varies by about +12/-24 mms from nominal.

If I put a 25mm lift in mine, it would be about +2mms in excess of OEM maximum height.

Alrighty that's what I thought.
I will look into your thread.
When I last looked they were a strut and spring combo all ready to go.

Are there any other recommendations ?
That's a bit of dough for them lol

^ Quite ...

However, it is extremely easy to spend far more on non-standard, bespoke rear suspension.

What sold me were:

1) totally off the shelf parts;

2) 17% heavier springs;

3) variable rate springs vs. OEM fixed rate;

4) full replacement of entire unit, including bumps, etc.

After fitting of the new Pedders units, handling, comfort and load carrying were all better than the OEM SLS units when they were good.

Handling improvements on both bitumen and dirt were even noticeable to my photographer mate, who is often a passenger with me on the open road and around town ... improvements at both high and low speeds on all kinds of surfaces.

Of course, it is possible to just replace the SLS struts with conventional ones, but the springs are engineered for use with the SLS units ... :poke:.

Vert, I have some used rear SLS struts and springs from a 2007 SG XT that I was about to place on eBay. They were fine when I removed them 2 years ago to fit KYB struts and dobinsons springs. You can have the lot for $100 plus freight from Hervey bay to you. PM me if interested.

Want to do a little bit more looking at things before I make a decision. If you swapped them out working then there must be a big improvement with the new setup you have.

The cheapest way to go is simply fit 1" saggy bum spacers, I can do that for $75 posted. The better but more expensive solution is new springs/struts. Few choices, Pedders complete units like RB's; or KYB struts with Kings (I rate these the best of the aftermarket springs), Dobinsons or Lovells springs

^ Not wanting to spoil a sale NL but saggy bum spacers will not fix stuffed springs and shocks which could pose some degree of risk.

Want to do a little bit more looking at things before I make a decision. If you swapped them out working then there must be a big improvement with the new setup you have.

I needed heavier springs for towing which you can't do with the self leveling struts. I also have a brand new set of Dobinsons lifted rear Springs you can have for $100 plus freight. They have been fitted once and removed the same day.

^ Not wanting to spoil a sale NL but saggy bum spacers will not fix stuffed springs and shocks which could pose some degree of risk.

Haha no worries lol. I agree, new springs & struts is the better option. Some people just do the spacers as its pretty cheap to do

Lol well some quick ring around results so far.

Peddlers comfort gas/heavy duty standard spring suply & fit $800+$120 alignment = $920

Sydney suspension kyb/king spring supply fit and alignment $970.

Does that sound about right?

The pedders ezifits rb were about $800 supply only when I checked online but I saw reading through some of your posts that this still did not bring back to stock height.

^ "Stock height" is a range, not a figure ... :iconwink:.

OEM spec is 440 +12 to -24 mms - i.e. between 416 and 452 mms, IIRC.

Mine is around 435mm if I remove all the crap out of it - i.e. return it to as near as I can get to factory curb weight. My car came with a very heavy duty tow bar (from a Liberty, I think). This lowers the rear a little!

Be careful with the Pedders. They make (or made) two different rear units for the 2006 N/A Forester - a heavy duty one (NOT recommended by Lucas) and the variable rate ones I bought. The latter are about 17% heavier duty than the OEM units.

Pedders part numbers for mine were 808473L and 808473R, one of each ;).

Last edited:
Lol yeah will be on the lookout. Yours is still 30mm better then my current.

If it's sagged that much springs would be gone. Chances are due to age struts would be well along the same lines.so not too keen on the just replace springs job due to this.

Back