• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

EZ30 into EJ25 Outback?

Or i would buy a factory H6 car and put a 4.44 auto behind it and use the VDC centre differential from the H6s auto.

This is the easy, very effective option, a killer offroad Subie. & waaay cheaper!

Your problem is gearing because you have put on bigger tyres, not a lack of power and torque.

I keep telling people bigger tyres aren't necessarily better. If you follow any American offroad Subie pages, they're always trying 29 & 30" tyres, attempting to look tough in front of the Jeep guys :rotfl: But put them on soft sand or steep tracks & they always run out of puff. I suggest you get alloys to keep the weight down

Thank you all for the replies. Very good valid points. Having gained some zip back by cleaning the throttle body and replacing the oxy sensor, its better but maybe not quite as it should. My check engine light is nowhere to be seen so ill try getting to it to replace/fit its globe.
But taking all posts on board, i reckon its a good idea to leave it for this car. I can always buy a H6 to play with later anyway.

Have been thinking a supercharger setup would be the best way to go for extra go. Any bespoke parts can be duplicated and kept as spares in the vehicle (i keep spares scattered amongst the vehicle's hidden crevices anyway). Its way simpler than the factory EJ turbo setups by far (never seen so many hoses in an engine bay before!!) and doesnt put enough boost through the system to make the motor lunch itself prematurley. Its just a matter of working out how itll all bolt on and perhaps an ecu tune of some sort.

Taza, didnt you have a charger on an EJ at some point?

Won't your 2.5 still be a 16-bit ECU and you won't be able to tune it for the SC? Because of that there will still be some reliability/longevity questions. That's not to say it isn't do-able on the factory ECU. I did a bit of research on the Raptor SC kit because I actually seriously considered it over an XT. In the end low KMs NA weren't a lot cheaper than XTs so I passed it up, but I considered it a better option for offroad duties.

They cannot be tuned, if sticking with standard ecu a piggyback ecu is required. It is what raptor supplies with their kits.

By the way taz and myself both had sc14 superchargers a long time ago but we have both sold them since.

I see i see. Not too fussed about fitting a piggyback ECU.

Cool David. How was it to install? Good performance increase? Im mainly chasing torque haha.

loved that smooth, revvy H6 in the gen4 Liberty manual I had a drive of years ago and nearly bought it. BUT - it is not as economical as the turbo and has nowhere near as much torque and the turbo can be easily modified for a lot more again. If you are looking for more power as you say, to me it is the obvious answer. And my experiences with my 285,000km example is they are super reliable. You don't even have the worry of head gasket replacements of the 2.5 NA's.

^ I seem to recall that you spent the best part of a couple of grand on your turbocharger fairly recently, Guzzla.

That's about the same cost as having to relace tyres ... and nothing like all N/A EJ-25 engines have to have head gaskets replaced ...

I also seem to recall you having to have other parts of your turbo system replaced at significant cost?

My brother's turbo Mazda cost him a motza (or two ... ) to keep on the road. That's not counting the speeding fines ... :(

Turbo Subarus are pretty reliable, they just require a little extra care & attention. Repairs will be more expensive though.

A tune is a very good idea as the factory tune isn't made for our conditions & doesn't cover all parameters as well as a custom tune. It increases fuel economy, low/midrange torque & reliability...win/win/win :biggrin:

Ive had my head deep in the engine bay of a GT Forester. Theres more hoses in there than the Gates factory. Im after extra power without sacrificing reliability. Reliability decreases with every extra hose imo. Dont like turbo for this car for that reason :)

Back