How to get a better approach angle?

outbackoklahoma

Forum Member
I have an 02 obw, and i love everything about. but my approach angle happens to suck a little bit. is there any mods i can do to make it better? what would you suggest?

Lift it is a good start. Increase your tire size to the maximum diameter that will fit. Other than that, you will need to remove / cut the front bumper.

G'day OutbackOklahoma :welcome:

As Kevin said.

Cutting along the line on the rear bumper is a good idea IMO, as it will help prevent cracking the bumper or ripping it right off!

I cant remember where but someone mentioned somewhere someone in the states is starting to do bullbars for Subarus. A bumper replacement front bar would be the best way to improve approach angle IMHO, but is expensive.

start trimming!

i just removed my rear bumper for the time being... it looks kinda ghetto tho!

i will be trimming once my lift is finished... who knows how long it will be tho.

good luck!
-Garrett

My approach angle is 25.8 and with a 2" lift it would be 29.2, a difference of 3.4 degrees. I suggest you measure your vehicle, and then decide if it's worthwhile.

Like Kevin said, a lift &/or bigger tyres would be a good start.

Then if you still want something a little better, you could trim the bumpers.

Just remember (obvious I know) it will be permanent.
Whereas the lift & tyres can always be reversed, if you wanted.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Maybe you could get another bumper from a wreckers as your "approach angle" bumper. Take off your current bumper, make any modifications you want to the "new" bumper you buy from the wreckers and then when you want sell the car or just don't want the trimmed bumper anymore, put the original one back on.

Maybe you could get another bumper from a wreckers as your "approach angle" bumper. Take off your current bumper, make any modifications you want to the "new" bumper you buy from the wreckers and then when you want sell the car or just don't want the trimmed bumper anymore, put the original one back on.

+1.

Cut up your bumper and buy a second hand one when you want to sell so you don't have to store it and you keep the money in your pocket in the meantime.

Just may be hard to get one the same colour but you will face that challenge now anyway.

My outback has a brilliant approach angle, with a subaextreme bullbar and 5" more clearance over stock. :biggrin:
Departure angle is fine with my lift, ive never actually had an issue with it even with stock clearance. The outback rear bumper is MUCH stronger than the foresters, mines been put through a fair bit and hasnt lost shape cracked or even come loose.

The stock front bumper is really hopeless but, its basicly a mouth ready to eat up anything in front of you. The only hope besides splashing out on a bullbar is to cut it.
Im hugely not a fan of bumper cutting though, it looks absolutely disgusting and ruins the car in most (but not all) cases (IMO).

Id say the best option is lift, it will help in all areas.

My outback has a brilliant approach angle, with a subaextreme bullbar and 5" more clearance over stock. :biggrin:
Departure angle is fine with my lift, ive never actually had an issue with it even with stock clearance. The outback rear bumper is MUCH stronger than the foresters, mines been put through a fair bit and hasnt lost shape cracked or even come loose.

You should see dcoutback's rear bumper lol. It has a big split in the middle right up to that horizontal line plus been bent down and back :eek:
I'm amazed its still attached :rotfl:

It like a forward facing scoop, just waiting to scoop up sand, mud and rocks :shake:

I think apart from a lift, the best thing you can do with an OB is a bumper replacement bullbar. Does wonders for approach angles.

Why not do both lol (if finances allow lol) :lildevil:

The stock front bumper is really hopeless but, its basicly a mouth ready to eat up anything in front of you.
You got that right! :(:shake:

Phizinzas front bumper looks a mess last time I saw it. Last I heard he was doing his own steel bumper replacement focusing on clearance.

outbackoklahoma, why dont you PM him. It wouldnt be worth it shipping one out but he might be able to giv you the plans so you can get one made up cheaply ;)

Last edited:
i like the way that scooby cut his bumper. but like previously stated, its quite permanent.. if i were to cut my bumper, im not sure what i would do with my foglights.. :o and ive heard that lift kits majorly effect mpg? is this true?

i like the way that scooby cut his bumper. but like previously stated, its quite permanent.. if i were to cut my bumper, im not sure what i would do with my foglights.. :o and ive heard that lift kits majorly effect mpg? is this true?

Not really. I usually get around 21.5 MPG (US) which is fairly standard in the city and i drive hard. It is still a bit on the bad side but i also have massive AT tires (215/70/16, 28") which affects fuel and performance more than anything.

I have 3" strut lift and 2" bigger tires FYI.

I have trimmed the centre section of my 05 OB rear bumper to the 'pleat' that runs approx level with the top of the exhausts.
I have then fitted 'pinch weld' along the cut. Looks more than acceptable in my biased opinion, but certainly much better than a torn plastic bumper, waiting to tear further.
Has the added advantage of allowing me to raise the plate to attach the towing hitch wiring plug level with the hitch mount AND place the wiring plug ABOVE the plate. The plug (a 12 pin flat plug) is now much better protected than was the OEM 5 pin plug in its original position.
On my model this centre section is black, so not really noticeable that it has been removed - especially as I have my rear swing away racks fitted.
On the OB to 04 the bumper, while a single colour, still has the same pleat - but just one exhaust. Notwithstanding, I still think the cut and pinchweld solution would not look in any way out of place, and would provide much more effective departure angle capability than OEM - even without a lift.

Back