St Albans

hoadie

Forum Member
This is a trip I did on APEC weekend last September. As I mentioned in my intro post, my other car is a BMW 635CSi, and despite the badge (and it's age) it gets driven.

I went up to Newcastle on Thursday afternoon to celebrate APEC day. On Friday I spent a bit of time around Pokolbin and managed to get the car a little dirty on some of the gravel roads there so though that as the car was already dirty, I may as well come back to Sydney via St Albans.

So the afternoon started off quite well. Perhaps a little overcast, with light showers but all in all good driving weather.

See the lush countryside after two months of solid rain.

a01.jpg

a02.jpg

See the nice windy, rural road

a03.jpg

a04.jpg

a05.jpg

a06.jpg

See more windy, rural roads with a drop or two of rain

a07.jpg

a08.jpg

See 34km of gravel road

a09.jpg

See caution sign

a10.jpg

Bah, caution signs are for pussies

a11.jpg

a12.jpg

a13.jpg

a14.jpg

How quaint

a16.jpg

Road narrows and starts getting a bit.... slippery....

a17.jpg

a18.jpg

a19.jpg

So what you might not at first make out here are the trees that have been washed away by the powerful floods back in June.

a20.jpg

Bit more obvious here...

a21.jpg

End of the gravel?

a35.jpg

Wash me!

a36.jpg

a37.jpg

a38.jpg

a39.jpg

a40.jpg

Perhaps not, a little more gravel still to come..

a41.jpg

Yep, GPS has car ferries on it.

a42.jpg

Photo time at a Christian Youth Camp just outside St Albans..

a43.jpg

.. where they have flooded basketball courts..

a44.jpg

And here..

a23.jpg

Welcome to St Albans Historic Common. Google St Albans if you're interested in a little history.

a24.jpg

Reason for the cattle grid will be a little more obvious soon...

a25.jpg

Mighty powerful these floods were!

a26.jpg

a27.jpg

a28.jpg

a29.jpg

a30.jpg

a32.jpg

a33.jpg

a45.jpg

a46.jpg

a47.jpg

a48.jpg

On the ferry

a50.jpg

And then the battery went flat

For the history buffs, this road forms a part of the Great North Road, ie the one that starts in Five Dock, and was to go all the way to Newcastle, but a more direct route was built before the Great North Road was completed, and thus never was used as a main road to Newcastle. And I'm sure the St Albans folk are more than happy with that.

Nice one Hoadie, thanks for sharing that with us.

I'm heading up to St Albans this weekend (now I know what to look out for :D) for a drive and then up, over and around to the lookout at Yengo NP.

You haven't been up to St Albans before?

When you get to Wisemans Ferry, you can take either the western or eastern ferries, as there's a road up on the west AND eastern side of the river north to St Albans. The western road is 99% sealed whereas, as a rough guess, the eastern road is 20%. I went through this weekend just gone and both roads are in pretty good nick.

Can you show me on Google Maps (or similar) roughly where you're headed?

I was up there about 2 weeks ago & had a ball.
Back in Feburary of this year though, the roads were flooded (about 3 or 4 km's shy of the punt) but were still open for some reason. :confused::confused::confused:
I for the life of me can't figure why though ? ? ?

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2vL8nMjaGWw"]Subaru Forester XT flood crossing - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbpJL0yfm4"]Subaru Forester goes snorkeling! - YouTube[/ame]

Regards
Mr Turbo

It was quite daunting at the time though, I must admit.
And I'm really glad that I had the snorkel. :iconwink::D

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back