Relocating car computer 05 Out footwell to rear bay.

Barry

Forum Member
Relocating car computer 05 OB footwell to rear bay.

IMHO it is fundamentally stupid to have the electronics in the front passenger foot well. :rotfl:
While I don't want to get the carpet wet, if that happens I certainly wouldn't want to 'let the smoke out' as well.
What I am thinking of is relocating the 'computer' to the rear load area, behind the backrest on the passenger side (forward of the load barrier). :discomonkey: This would keep it high and dry in the event of a 'damp' floor! :raspberry:

As far as I can ascertain, 'all' I would need is:

• An extension wiring loom, with the same male and female connectors as the existing, and
  • some sort of home made bracket to mount it in the rear.
As for the bracket, I will probably mount it on a hinge from the top half of the load bracket. Then, when the seat backs are lowered to carry long loads - there being no mesh in the bottom half of the barrier frame - I can swing the computer up in front of the mesh, out of the way. :cool:

Does anyone have any ideas on where I would source the loom connections?

Last edited:
Hi Barry,

The wreckers yard would be where i'd look first - locate a wreck same model as yours - hack off some plugs and sockets and get soldering to construct your custom extension loom. Try and keep it to around 2 metres.

onebob

Thanks onebob,
Why the 2 metre limit, do you think a longer cable run is likely to result in signal loss?
I recon I should be able to do it with 2.5 - 3 metres, if I take it along the top of the centre tunnel.

hey Barry, i'm thinking it's going to be a whole lot easier making a water proof case for it. you could just use an air tight container and some silicone?????

You still need to remember that the connectors will be the weak link as far as electronics are concerned, and spark plugs elsewhere. I reckon Eden is on the money, but I have also heard of ECU's being re-positioned higher up behind the dashboard.

I was thinking of cutting the wires one at a time and soldering in some extra wire to get the computer up in the dash and use heat shrink over the joints.

An air tight box might over heat the computer!

Nate

i doubt it. not when they stick it right next to a heater blower capable of blowing 32 deg C. plus cars use a heap of different microprocessors. not just one big cpu to controll everything. they really dont generate that much heat. if they did there would be heat sinks inside with vent holes in the box.

Last edited:
hey Barry, i'm thinking it's going to be a whole lot easier making a water proof case for it. you could just use an air tight container and some silicone?????

Although heat would probably not be an issue like eden say's it would still concern me sealing it up.

I was thinking of cutting the wires one at a time and soldering in some extra wire to get the computer up in the dash and use heat shrink over the joints.
Nate

I've had mine out (I've actually flooded the passenger compartment enough to fry the ECU) had the whole interior out.
Might be able to pull the loom of wires out enough to mount it higher up in the dash.

From personal experience I'd say its a good idea..... I had my after market ECU put in the glovebox...... Have to be a deep crossing to get me this time... I'd say it would be the least of my problems.....

Observe........ I got through but once I turned the car off it was all over and I tipped atleast a cup of water outa my ECU which was under the passenger feet...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYwV-7hAaE"]YouTube - Subaru Forester - Drowning at Mundaring Power Lines[/ame]

Back