tow points??

Get yourself a "distribution strap" or a tree trunk protector plus a snatch strap. Connect the shorter strap across the two tie down points after feeding it through the snatch strap.

Attaching any sort of winch is difficult because of the monocoque construction (i.e. no chassis rails) unless you replace the whole front bumper.

Get yourself a "distribution strap" or a tree trunk protector plus a snatch strap. Connect the shorter strap across the two tie down points after feeding it through the snatch strap.

Attaching any sort of winch is difficult because of the monocoque construction (i.e. no chassis rails) unless you replace the whole front bumper.

I have seen pictures of a winch fitted to the rear of a Forester, do a Google Images search for "Forester Winch".

DQ: Any advantage to getting a second set of stock front tie down loops and stacking them? Seems like it should make for a stronger recovery point or am I missing something?

DQ: Any advantage to getting a second set of stock front tie down loops and stacking them? Seems like it should make for a stronger recovery point or am I missing something?

No need. I once got snatched from one tow point hard and there was no damage to the point itself other than being bent. the chassis when its bolted to ripped open and bent where the welds are.... :sad:

More so the front end needs to be stronger but kind hard unless you rebuild half the body with thicker steel.

Taza

Front recovery points are weak as piss so be careful. My landrover ripped the front recovery points off my Subaru when towing it home...at the traffic lights.

No need. I once got snatched from one tow point hard and there was no damage to the point itself other than being bent. the chassis when its bolted to ripped open and bent where the welds are.... :sad:

More so the front end needs to be stronger but kind hard unless you rebuild half the body with thicker steel.

Taza

Front recovery points are weak as piss so be careful. My landrover ripped the front recovery points off my Subaru when towing it home...at the traffic lights.

Have heard of this happening. Was there a lot of force involved?

I wonder if you bolt on reinforcement to where the tie down points anchor to would help.
ARB did an article on tow points...most are actually tie down points & not structural

Far out, did you drop the clutch or something from the lights????? :huh: Must of taken off like a rocket for that to happen. Or maybe the bolts were loose?

MY mate didn't take off too fast but yeah...ripped them clean off...tore holes through the front rails.

Towing_point_brackets.jpg

I was picturing a poor mans version of these, obviously without the clearance advantage.

^ I still don't see how these will help when you rip the actual chassis, its not the tow point that break... its where it attaches and these attach with 3 bolts too.

Yea, those are direct replacements for the stock ones. I just feel a little silly attaching a burly bow shackle to the thin stock tie downs. I'd never use just one for recovery unless it was absolutely the only way to get home.

How bout reinforcing the front part of the rail where the tie down points attach to? Maybe some 4mm sheet bolted at strategic points...

Back