My new must have recovery item!

Hondaslayer

Super Moderator
Solar battery charger.

After our first trip of the year resulted in a dead battery from running a lot of lights while at idle (dumb, I know) I decided to pick one up. As with most recovery gear I hope to never use it (unless it's a come along, then I was having fun!) but it is nice to have. Overall it's fairly small, I can keep it under the passenger seat without any trouble at all. I have been using the same one mounted on the roof of my garage as a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up on cars that are in winter storage, so this should do the trick. Only problem is time, my unit takes around 4 hrs to get enough charge to start the car, but overall that's not bad.

Witch one did you buy? I have a small jump box I stow under the passenger seat. It has the jumper cables 2 12 volt ports and a work light and I can charge it from the car. I Used it to start a buddies truck and it had not been charged for 7 months.

Nate

Maintaining your 'jump start' pack

Witch one did you buy? I have a small jump box I stow under the passenger seat. It has the jumper cables 2 12 volt ports and a work light and I can charge it from the car. I Used it to start a buddies truck and it had not been charged for 7 months.

Nate

Nate I have similar, and they are reliable as long as they are maintained, as with any machine.

In particular, it is still best to recharge every couple of months, irrespective if it has been used or not.

Think of charging being similar to changing oil and time as similar to mileage travelled.

Sure you can miss an oil change or two and it won't kill the engine, but it sure as hell won't make it last longer.

By not re-charging for 7 months and then using the jumpers you are really dragging down the state of charge (SOC) of the battery. Equivalent of giving a car with dirty oil / trans fluid a good 'flogging'. :twisted:

The lower you take the SOC of the battery in the back the fewer uses you will get from it. (Equivalent of reduced engine life to re-build.) And remember, these small batteries will die much sooner and quickly than a car engine.

All of which reminds me, I must charge mine again this weekend, cause the winter cold doesn't do them any favours either! :raz:

One 'solution' is to wire up a rear accessory socket, if you don't already have one, and occasionally plug it in there. That way it will always be in the car and charged when you need it! :cool:

Good idea Barry I just might install a plug under the front edge of the seat so I can reach it at any time.;) I keep it under the seat so it can get warm in the winter.

Nate

Nate

Picked it up at Harbor Freight, I'll see if I can find the model # on it later.

Back