OneSixty's 1991 L-Series

Here is my first car, it was given to me as the owner did not use it and wants to see it live again.

It had been sitting for over a year and even with over 400,000 km it started first try.
Here are some pictures.

Outside: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311075435306024961/449890968452202496/image.jpg
Inside Rear: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311075435306024961/449890026747068416/image.jpg
Engine: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311075435306024961/449890240858030100/image.jpg
Inside Driver Front: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311075435306024961/449890462497767424/image.jpg
Inside Passenger Front: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311075435306024961/449890159022964736/image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I've never thought of the passenger front of an L series as a "wine region" :lol:
What a great car to bring back to life!

It had been sitting for over a year and even with over 400,000 km it started first try.

400,000! Awesome that it started first go.:ebiggrin:

Boy you're gonna get dirty cleaning that up!

The L-Series was posted on Gumtree for $400 Negotiable. About 25 minuets someone offered $200 and because we really needed it gone the offer was accepted.
"Ill pick it up in the morning" they said. 5:30pm a tow truck arrives to pick it up to take it to a wrecker where the Engine, Wheels and Driveline will be taken out, the body will be crushed and probably turned into a Hyundai or a Coke can.

"All good things must come to an end." -Geoffrey Chaucer
Those parts I mentioned earlier will live on on some other L-Series. Maybe one day i'll get another one.

Images below VVV
Untitled.png

2.png

:cry:

And so the wheel turns, life goes on.
It's too short to be sad about something like that.
You wouldn't believe the vehilces I've let slip out of my hands over the years, most of them with boxer engines, not many of them Subarus. All of them a hell of a lot more valuable now than when I let them go (except for the 1600 Wagon, that slowly rusted to pieces).

At the end of the day, they're just lumps of metal and stuff that get you from point a to point b.

No Ragrets!

Still we love our cars. I love those older years cockpits.
That bullbar is cool. It could be good project but maybe not this one.

One down the road just like that for sale, with bull bar. No air-con but registered and roadworthy.
They want 2500AU but came down to 1500AU when I offered them 1000AU.
3 weeks later it still hasn't sold. if it hasn't sold by friday morning I'll offer them 800AU (their roadworthy runs out on monday and it costs money to renew and car will need to be rechecked)
I reckon they'll take it unless by some fluke they sell it tomorrow. :)

Its cool to live where you have space in yard or other place to keep your cars and even buy new ones.

I do have space in my backyard, but this one won't be for me. It'll be for my 'niece' (my wife's cousin's daughter's step sister!!) and her boyfriend while they are here for the next 6 months.
If it survives them, I'll buy it back for my son to drive (if he ever gets his licence!)

Ohh good plan into future. Hope it works out.

:(

A dying species as such :sad:

I'll be hanging on to mine as long as possible that's for sure! It's only been 12 years so far.

Cheers

Bennie

The one I was looking at sold apparently. Hippies, it's a bit hard to tell...

Possible that there will be another L-Series in my life fairly soon! Been trying to get my Dad to get rid of his slow and boring Camry that has been driving around with rattly CV joints for ages and I have seen a L-Series that we both agree could be a great buy and it's a 91 model as well. I'll keep you updated and will start a new journal for it if its bought.

Im sure some of you may be confused when you see this thread pop up again, others may not. Ever since the day the lift went on the Forester Iv'e had the thought about selling it and getting another L-Series, so far that hasn't happened and the $500 Forester build has continued but the past few days iv'e been thinking about it again. Soon I should be getting an L-Series to take the low range out of and put into my Forester but I have a feeling that this L-Series will be the end of the Forester... for me at least.

So if you want to share your opinion this is the perfect time! Do I sell the Foz and get an L-Series or do I continue the Foz build? Your opinions mean a lot as most of you will have a lot more experience than me. Either way I will be getting an L-Series either to own or for the gearbox, so I can drive it and see if I like it.

Last edited:
Put the drivetrain from the Foz in the L series, after using the low range from the L series, and any other useful bits (diffs?)
:cool:

L series - as good looking units seem to be popping up heaps over your way recently!

Buy two, build one and build your Foz box too ;)

But if you go the L route and sell the Foz, just remember the L’s short comings. There’s little support for these models these days. No one builds lift kits for them anymore - so buy one with lift or source a parts car with a lift.

Before moving the Foz on, do an engine conversion on the L - EJ22 or the EJ251 would be my picks. (I’d like to upgrade to an EJ251 in Ruby Scoo but the EJ22 just keeps going!) Once the engine conversion is done you can putter around with your other mods.

Also remember you’re essentially stuck with the 3.7 diffratio unless you drop an EJ AWD box in there - in which case you’d want to swap in the L low range for good measure. Go for a phase two box as it’s stronger. Use your L’s front diff stubs and bearing “carriers” (the round disc thing the diff seal lives in) to marry up a male driveshaft setup to your L series stock shafts. And shove an LSD up front while you’re in there.

That should have the drivetrain in a good state for off-roading and comfortable touring.

Also remember the L’s body is more flexible than that of the Foz. I’ve heard of body’s fatiguing over time with the L’s but personally haven’t experienced it. I’ve taken some measures to reduce or eliminate this (hopefully).

At the end of the day, whatever you’re happy about is the way to go. Nothing wrong with the Foz, but if you’re looking for something a bit more unique and sometimes challenging for a work-a-round for a part or a mod, then the L series is the way to go ;)

Cheers

Bennie

There’s little support for these models these days. No one builds lift kits for them anymore - so buy one with lift or source a parts car with a lift.

ADF (Anderson Design Fabrication) makes L-Series lift kits but they are based in America so shipping might cost a bit. I’ve heard that SubieLiftOz will be making L-Series lifts soon and a WA company called Subarino is testing their first Brumby lift kit.

What I’m looking for is a more capable car gearing wise, the L-Series low range swap into the Forester gearbox isn’t very easy and I don’t look forward to doing it if I go down that path.

Back