Third time's a Charm

Hello there,
So it all started late one saturday night deep in the backroads of the northwoods. A young lady was visiting a friend of mine while at college and she happened to have a 93 legacy wagon 5mt. We had been booze cruising the woods all night long and she let us beat on her old stock wagon. a little bit of snow goes a long way and I was blown away with how much fun the car was to rally around the woods in a little snow. I was hooked! Fast forward many years and Im on my 3rd subaru build. the 94 wagon lifted with a frankenmotor was sold when I had 4 cars and nowhere to keep it (still regret that one ). Then it was the 2001 outback limited sedan. It was a steal for 500 bucks and was in great shape. What a mistake! Now I know why people don't build up those cars. electrical nightmares, tons of failures, emissions, multi link ets etc. That baby got stripped to the bone and sent to the crusher. Kind of a shame really because theres alot more stuff I would have liked to get off it before she was towed away. Unfortunately Im stuck in a 1 car garage and newly married so it had to go sooner than later.

BUT IM BACK IN ACTION!

I was able to find a quite rare obd2 95 legacy LS in amazing condition with only 125k miles on it. The undercarraige is still shiny green and there isnt a speck of rust to be seen. From the carfax and the copious amount of new ish parts on it it has been very well maintained. It looks like the heads have been replaced at some point as well, what that means for the bottom end im not sure but will eventually find out. The price was a little high at 1300$ but you don't see them like this anymore, especially not in chicago.

SO THERE I WAS.....
Fresh suby in hand running perfect with no leaks, rust free and a perfect interior. Time to tear it all apart My wife is starting to understand, reluctantly....

I can't seem to upload photos so gotta figure that one out. They will be provided

So the first step was the lift. I went with 2" unibody spacers which I fabbed up at work and 3" strut top spacers and bigger tires giving me a total of 6"!!!!! Everything went ok but there were a couple of snags.
I wanted to use the super frest kyb gr2's that I had put on the outback along with new factory baja springs. That took some interesting fabrication and a couple of re workings. The fronts went right in with my custom strut top spacers. The rears on the other hand have taken a couple tries to get right. I had to somehow make multilink rear shocks work in a mcpherson rear end. Then the interior got swapped for the leather heated seats from the OB limited as well as the stereo and compass rearview mirror, 1" wheel spacers, ford ranger rims and tires from the j-yard (for a steal), UEL headers and a full custom exhaust including porsche j-yard muffler. Now im finishing up my full aluminum bumper and integrated skid plate past the trans. Soon to come is the lsd chunk from the OB into the leggo, light bars, center diff lock, rock sliders, and a rebuild on the old ej251 shortblock for the frankenmotor build to come.

I'm sure theres things im missing but I will try to keep this updated as it is fun to see the progress and share with the community. I'll also try to write up each mod briefly to share my frusterations and experiences.

Thanks for listening and I'm open to any questions or ways I can help

the old

heres the old beasts, along with my baby

Attachments

• IMG_0443[1].JPG
    IMG_0443[1].JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DIVB7993[1].jpg
    DIVB7993[1].jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0439[1].JPG
    IMG_0439[1].JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0440[1].JPG
    IMG_0440[1].JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 9
And the new beast

heres where im at

Attachments

• IMG_0448[1].JPG
    IMG_0448[1].JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0447[2].JPG
    IMG_0447[2].JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0446[1].JPG
    IMG_0446[1].JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0444[1].jpg
    IMG_0444[1].jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 14
That's an evil looking bumper!

Hmmm... just a "small" change in the appearance and capabilities of that sedan!

Keep up the good work - you don't usually see these sedans being lifted for offroading these days like the older leone sedans!

Cheers

Bennie

Very nice.

I also approve of your choice in motorcycles. Gotta love the Orange!

Back